7 people are interested
7 people are interested
If you’re fluent in spoken and written Dari and passionate about eradicating education inequality, keep reading! Oppia is looking for someone to join our translation team to translate our online lessons from English to Dari.
Who We Are
The Oppia Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit with the mission to provide high-quality education to all. We do this through the creation and maintenance of our platform, Oppia (http://www.oppia.org), the coordination of our passionate contributors, and the development of critical partnerships with NGOs in the communities we aim to serve.
Even before COVID-19, students around the world were facing difficulties accessing quality education due to conflict, discrimination, lack of teacher training, and more. However, with COVID-19 forcing everyone to stay quarantined in their own homes, students now more than ever need access to free, quality education to ensure that they can continue to learn even if they cannot attend school.
Why Oppia is an Organization You Want to Work With
- Oppia has served students in many diverse regions.
- Oppia’s current library consists of more than 20,000 lessons.
- Oppia focuses on effectiveness. Our continuous improvement process involves rigorous user testing and RCTs (randomized control trials) to ensure we create high-quality educational materials catered to the needs of our most underserved global learners.
- Oppia consists of passionate volunteers from across the globe, so our meetings are held online at flexible times.
- All of the Oppia lessons are completely free.
Oppia consists of passionate volunteers from across the globe, so our meetings are held online at flexible times.
Where You Fit In
Our community of volunteers has created a series of mathematics lessons that have proved highly engaging and effective with English-speaking students, including in a randomized controlled trial. We now want to expand the reach of these lessons by translating them into Dari. This language is a particular focus because we are preparing to launch our collaboration with our partner, Digital Citizen Fund, by the end of June 2021. We have already translated the first batch of our math lessons into Dari. Our goal is to have enough lessons translated by the end of June so that students in Afghanistan can use the platform.
We are looking for native or native-level speakers of Dari to accurately translate the lessons, in written and audio form (it’s fine if you just want to do one of these).
What Our Translation Team contributes
- Writing translations of lessons into Dari.
- Audio dubbing of lessons into Dari, to help students whose reading skills are weaker.
- Advising on any barriers that students from Afghanistan might encounter when understanding and relating to the stories we have written to motivate the lessons.
About OPPIA FOUNDATION INC
221 N RENGSTORFF AVE APT 5, MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA 94043, US
Oppia’s mission is to help anyone, anywhere learn anything they want to in an effective and enjoyable way.
The Oppia team works to create effective, enjoyable online lessons at scale that can reach millions of people. We want every individual, no matter what their personal circumstances, to have access to learning experiences that are not only pedagogically effective, but also fun and engaging.
Oppia’s unique technology simulates an interactive tutor, adapting each lesson to individual learners’ needs and providing specific, targeted feedback to help them improve. Furthermore, the lessons are openly licensed and the platform open source, which enables a diverse group of educators and technologists from around the world to regularly iterate on and improve them.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 23, 2021
- Math / Science Instruction
- Teaching / Instruction
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Ongoing, a few hours a week.