3 people are interested
Volunteer Exhibit and Facilities Assistant
3 people are interested
NMAS needs a volunteer to assist with special one-time facility projects, exhibit construction, light cleaning, or routine maintenance and repairs of interior museum facility. These skills directly tie into the museum’s mission by allowing the institution to achieve and maintain an excellent museum facility in line with professional museum standards.
Tasks may include:
- Light carpentry including minor wood work, anchoring furniture, hanging heavy objects, and other related tasks
- Minor mechanical work including equipment repairs
- Assembling furniture and installing exhibit components
- Cleaning facility and exhibits including sweeping gallery floors and dusting exhibit cases
- Inspecting museum spaces, including gallery exhibits, to identify problems such as interactives with mechanical failures, loose panels, and dislodged artifacts.
09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
The volunteer's shift will be between these hours one day M-F.
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About National Museum of the American Sailor
2531 Sheridan Road, Great Lakes, IL 60088, US
As an official Department of the Navy museum under the Naval History and Heritage Command, the National Museum of the American Sailor’s mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the U.S. Navy and the people of the United States.
NMAS will fulfill this mission by:
- Serving as a vital part of the heritage training process for all Navy recruits and connecting them to the Navy’s long tradition of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. The institution also plays an important role in the Navy community by hosting naval traditions and activities that promote Naval Heritage to the greater community.
- Collecting and exhibiting United States Naval history that is accurate, complete and unbiased.
- Preserving the physical legacy and historical experiences of the Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the United States Navy and the general public.
- Anticipating the United States Navy’s future historical needs by creating strategies and policies for the selection and acquisition of historical material.
- Developing innovative and inspirational educational programs and exhibits that broaden and deepen public knowledge and appreciation of the significance of the United States Sailor.
2531 Sheridan RoadBuilding 42Great Lakes, IL 60088
August 18, 2021
- Exhibition Arts
- Facilities Management
- Janitorial Maintenance
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- The volunteer in this position will work generally one weekday per month for two hours during normal morning business hours at the Museum (0900-1200). A three month commitment is required.