4 people are interested
Studio Reader (Pool Position) - On-Site
4 people are interested
We will be reviewing a new round of applications this September! Please read entire description for instructions on how to apply for this volunteer position. An audio clip is required for application.
Description: We are in need of volunteer readers with younger-sounding voices to match the content being requested. Share your vocal talent with those who are blind, visually impaired or print disabled! Seeking dedicated volunteers to record a variety of texts (instruction manuals, magazines, fiction or non-fiction books, etc.) at our professional recording studio. Qualified individuals will possess superior oratory skills, advanced reading comprehension abilities and the determination it takes to complete projects in a timely manner.
This is a pool position, meaning volunteering is on a project by project basis. Narrators will be given assignments according to how well their voice is suited to a particular project.
- Adult (18 + Years)
- Strong reading comprehension and language skills are necessary
- Must be able to sit and read aloud for 80 minutes at a time in our downtown Milwaukee studios
- Must possess a positive attitude and the patience it takes to record an audiobook
Time Commitment: 2 to 4 hours/week (this includes preparation time)
Training: Training will be provided at our studios at the Central Library Building in downtown Milwaukee.
Location: At our office in the Central Library Building in downtown Milwaukee.
To apply please send us an email containing the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your Name
- Your 9am-5pm weekday availability (we are open 9-5, M-F)
- A short statement about why you are interested in volunteering.
- An attached recording of yourself reading the following passages found on this webpage: https://www.ablenow.org/get-involved/current-volunteer-opportunities/audition-script-for-studio-reader-volunteer-position/ . (Note: a cell phone voice memo is fine, if you don’t have other means of recording. No large WAVE or AIFF files. MP3 or similar, please).
About Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement, Inc. (ABLE)
Central Library Bldg, 803 W Wells St, Milwaukee, WI 53233, US
Audio & Braille Literacy Enhancement's mission is to provide alternative ways for people with print disabilities to read.
We are a nonprofit organization that relies primarily on volunteers to provide materials in braille, audio and digital formats for people who are blind, visually impaired, or who have other print disabilities. We are committed to the belief that standard print materials should be accessible to everyone. Our specialized services are a key to dignity, productivity, enhanced literacy, and independence.
803 W Wells StCentral Library BldgMilwaukee, WI 53233
September 9, 2021
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 2-4 hours a week