11 people are interested
Love community? Become a Community Outreach Volunteer
ORGANIZATION: Fresh Approach
Please visit the new page to apply.
11 people are interested
Community Outreach Volunteer
The Farmers Market Promotion Program at Fresh Approach exists to address barriers in accessing fresh, locally-grown produce at farmers’ markets in underserved communities within San Mateo County. In many communities, fast food chains and corner stores far outnumber farmers’ markets and other direct producer-to-consumer markets, contributing to higher rates of chronic diseases. The project works to improve community health and reduce the prevalence of chronic disease by increasing the use of Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program SNAP benefits at farmers’ markets by reducing language barriers, increasing awareness about SNAP acceptance at farmers’ markets, and addressing financial barriers by increasing knowledge of the Market Match program, which provides a dollar-for-dollar match on SNAP spent at farmers’ markets, and by providing $3 coupons for the farmers’ market.
Love to connect with your local community? Want to learn more about local and sustainable agriculture and help others to learn more about it too? Use your passion to help people in your community learn more about local food systems and increase your community’s awareness of farmers’ markets participating in the Market Match program. Help people learn how they can use their CalFresh benefits at participating farmers’ markets in your community. This position is a good fit for community members interested in the health and well-being of their communities, as well as anyone interested in local agriculture, nutrition, and community outreach.
Gain skills in community outreach to promote healthy sources of local food in your neighborhood and spread the word at work, school, the local community centers, in your neighborhood, and more.
All volunteers will receive $10 in vouchers per week that can be used to purchase fruits and vegetables at participating Farmers’ Markets.
Volunteers will support outreach efforts in the community surrounding San Mateo County Farmers’ Markets and administer surveys at select farmers’ markets. Preference is given to residents of the community surrounding the farmers’ markets, Spanish speakers, and those who have experience with federal benefits programs. Training will be provided to become a Community Outreach volunteer.
This position requires travel throughout San Mateo County and to multiple locations surrounding participating farmers’ markets.
You can find a full list of the farmers’ markets in San Mateo county here: https://www.freshapproach.org/sanmateomarkets/
- Help distribute outreach and promotional materials to community members, social services agencies, food banks, and community partners.
- Identify, contact, and coordinate with local organizations and businesses to partner with Fresh Approach
- Identify appropriate promotional and community-building opportunities
- Conduct outreach to recipients of public benefits (CalFresh/SNAP, WIC and Market Match) to promote use of their benefits at San Mateo County Farmers’ Markets via social media (Facebook/Instagram/Next Door)
- Administer surveys at participating farmers’ markets
- Must be at least 16 years of age.
- This position may require weekend and evening work (some community events happen in the evenings or on the weekends)
- Able to interact with persons of various socio-economic backgrounds
- Requires the volunteer to support weekly for at least 4-6 weeks for 4 hours per week
To be considered for this position, complete the volunteer application here: https://www.tfaforms.com/491867 6. Learn more here: http://www.freshapproach.org/
About Fresh Approach
5056 COMMERCIAL CIR STE C, CONCORD, CA 94520, US
Our mission is to create long-term change in local food systems, by connecting California communities with healthy food from California farmers and expanding knowledge about food and nutrition.
Our programs empower families to make sustainable lifestyle changes by expanding their nutrition, cooking, and gardening skills, and by boosting their access to local, affordable produce.
Local farms benefit, too, as our programs make it possible for small farms to sell in communities that would otherwise lack access to their products, while helping farmers diversify their sales through guaranteed weekly orders.
This grassroots community empowerment has a ripple effect that supports small family farms, promotes sustainability and responsible stewardship in agriculture, breaks down systemic barriers, and strengthens the local economy - all while growing community interest in healthy eating.
We believe that everyone should have equal access to healthy food, and that the health of our communities and the livelihood of our local farmers should go hand-in-hand.
Multiple locations Palo Alto, CA 94303
September 6, 2022
- Community Outreach
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- Looking for someone who can support weekly for at least 4-6 weeks! Outreach will take place throughout San Mateo County.
- Hours: 4 hours per week (Flexible)