15 people are interested
Senior Water/Civil Engineer (Remote)
15 people are interested
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public resources.
ADC’s purpose is to enable communities to independently meet their needs for essential services, such as clean water and safe sanitation and improve lives in Africa.
At ADC we encourage a working culture of seeking and giving input, showing and taking initiative, and commitment to the organisation and its purpose.
Main purpose of job:
Plan, design and oversee construction of sustainable clean water supply systems and wastewater management solutions. You will provide technical expertise to ensure that the delivery of all specified project outcomes are on time, within budget and to the quality required.
Division or Department : Programs Design & Delivery
Position reports to: Construction Project Manager
Position is responsible for: N/A
Main Duties and Objectives:
- Lead the design, construction and maintenance of clean water and wastewater infrastructure such as boreholes, bio-digesters, water storage facilities and water distribution points
- Remotely supervise the on-site work of local contractors, including hydrogeological surveys, drilling and pump tests, water quality analysis, and construction and installation works
- Review technical documentation such as surveys, designs, drawings and ensure compliance with industry standards, ensuring all solutions are safe to build, operate and maintain
- Perform pump system engineering calculations and hydraulic modelling analysis including but not limited to sizing of pumps according to borehole characteristics and community water needs
- Assist in preparing cost and material quantity estimates for projects
- Assist to gather and analyse water use data to forecast water demand
- Experience through the entire project lifecycle, from initial feasibility and scoping, through detailed design, to support for procurement, construction, handover and maintenance of projects
- Experience in the water and sanitation field working with solar water pumping systems
- Experience designing water and wastewater infrastructure using design applications such as AutoCAD
- Ability to actively take initiative and help set things up in a start-up environment
- Ability to actively seek and give input in a collaborative team environment
- A committed team player with good communication skills
- Available to volunteer at least 7-10 hours a week
What ADC offers you:
This is a volunteer, remote and unpaid position with the following benefits:
- Professional learning and career development opportunities
- An opportunity to build on your work experience within your profession
- An opportunity to be part of a diverse team representing different parts of the world that is changing lives in Africa
- An opportunity to help shape a start-up social enterprise
- We provide work reference
This job description is a written statement of the essential characteristics of the job, with its principal accountabilities, incorporating a note of the skills, knowledge and experience required for a satisfactory level of performance. This is not intended to be a complete, detailed account of all aspects of the duties involved.
Here at African Development Choices, we celebrate diversity, equity, and inclusion. Our teams are made up of people from all over the world and we welcome all applications. If you are disabled or have a long-term health condition, and you require any reasonable adjustments for your application with us, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
About African Development Choices
Kemp House, 160 City Road, London, EC1V 2NX, GB
Our mission is to reduce poverty by empowering communities to make more informed choices in the management of public resources.
African Development Choices (ADC) is a UK-based Social Enterprise on a mission to reduce poverty in Africa by empowering local communities and their leaders to make more informed choices in the management of public resources so that they can independently meet their own needs for essential services. Improving public resources management is key to establishing a sustainable society. And increasing access to essential services, such as clean water and sanitation, is key to fighting poverty because lack of access to essential services is a root cause of poverty.
We achieve this using our unique approach to reduce poverty as follows:
- Set better precedent
- Raise expectations
- Increase public participation
- Improve management of public resources
- Increase access to essential services
By delivering access to essential services through our donor-funded community projects, we set better precedents in the management of public resources and the delivery of essential services. Then we raise expectations through education and support and mobilise communities to play an active and informed role in the management of public resources so that they can enact change for themselves. We achieve this by sharing information from our projects that provides a new perspective. It’s not the information that empowers communities to participate; it’s raised expectations from a new perspective.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
November 9, 2021
- Civil Engineering
- Available to volunteer 7-10 hours a week