8 people are interested
PAWS (Pets Are Wonderful Supporters) - Dauphin, Cumberland, and York Counties
ORGANIZATION: Homeland Hospice
Please visit the new page to apply.
8 people are interested
MAKE A DOG-GONE DIFFERENCE IN A HOSPICE PATIENT'S DAY!
Share your four-legged best friend and provide comfort, peace, and soothing companionship to terminally ill patients receiving services from Homeland Hospice! A half hour/hour visit between a patient and an animal promotes activity, conversation and emotional connection. Often, simply the presence of the dog, cat, rabbit, or other pet is all that is required to promote the positive effects. However, patients, caregivers and family can interact with your best friend as they would with any pet:
- Tossing a ball or toy for the animal to fetch
- Enjoying the presence of the animal in silence
- Talking to, petting, holding, hugging or cuddling with the animal
- Enjoying playful animal tricks and commands such as sitting, rolling over, or shaking hands
- Being effectively house trained
- Having no history of aggressive behavior and welcome human interaction
- Displaying obedience to commands such as "sit," "stay", and "come."
- Having all appropriate and up-to-date vaccinations
- Being of a certain age depending on species
Volunteers must complete an orientation program which can be done as a self study in the comfort of your home and at your own pace. Volunteers also must complete a background check and 2- Step PPD (TB) Test. Any costs are paid for by Homeland Hospice.
Needs exist today - in your community - and we would welcome the opportunity to talk more with you about how to get connected!
* Homeland Hospice's office is located in Harrisburg, but serves 14 South Central PA counties, including - Adams, Cumberland, Dauphin, Lancaster, Lebanon, Northumberland, Perry, Schuylkill, and York. Volunteers share where it is that they would like to serve - near home or work, in a patient's home or a facility.
* All CDC guidelines are followed and education on safe visiting is provided.
About Homeland Hospice
2300 Vartan Way, Suite 270, Harrisburg, PA 17110, US
To provide the highest quality of care to patients and families during the terminal stages of life.
Homeland Hospice utilizes a team approach to provide care to patients with a life limiting illness. We encourage patients and their families to live each day as fully as possible. Our focus is symptom management and quality of life. We believe everyone has the right to die with dignity. The team includes: physicians, nurses, social workers, chaplains, aides, volunteers, complementary therapists; with the patient and family always at the center of focus.
Multiple locations Harrisburg, PA 17110
July 24, 2023
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- People Skills
- Verbal / Written Communication
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible! Volunteer sets their own schedule!
- 2- Step PPD/TB Test (cost paid for by Homeland Hospice)