6 people are interested
Volunteer ESL Instructor
6 people are interested
***TO APPLY, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org ***
Title: Volunteer ESL Instructor
Purpose/Objective: CIANA is looking for a volunteer ESL instructor. Our classes are capped at 15 students whose English proficiency ranges from beginner to intermediate. You must be comfortable managing a diverse group of students and facilitating fun and interactive activities. Since our offices are still closed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, hours are negotiable and a schedule can be discussed upon hire.
- Instruct an open class
- Write and deliver English lessons that incorporate reading, writing, speaking, and listening components based on a curriculum
- Facilitate lessons on life skills and practical English in a fun and accessible way
- Collaborate with other ESL teachers on lesson development and execution
- Assist in tracking student needs and progress
- Must have access to reliable internet and a WiFi or data enable device
- Charismatic, dynamic, and interactive instruction methods
- Motivated to help students achieve their goals
- Competent in and respectful of cultural differences
- Passionate about advancing immigrant rights
- Possesses a TEFL certificate (or similar) and/or is currently in a program to obtain certification is a plus! Retired teachers are encouraged to apply.
- Fluency in another language; especially Arabic, Bengali, or Spanish, is a plus!
- Fall session: October 5th - December 23, 2021
- Flexible 2 - 4 hours per week
- Consistent availability on weekdays from 10:30am to 12:00pm
About Center for the Integration and Advancement of New Americans, CIANA
31-09 Newtown Avenue, Suite 411, Astoria, NY 11102, US
To provide special transitional services which will lead to the successful integration of newcomers into American society while continuing to maintain pride in their own cultural heritage .
Immigrants and refugees will be provided with the tools to emerge from poverty, isolation, and linguistic barriers to become full, productive American citizens. Our services promote family well-being and stability, provide counseling and support services, and expose newcomers to the social, economic and educational opportunities available to them. Professional social services will include ESOL and civics classes, citizenship preparation, adult literacy, child welfare and youth services, legal and immigration assistance, financial literacy, micro credit and finance, employment assistance, and information and referral services. Newcomers will gain a deeper understanding of western culture and how to incorporate its positive qualities into their lives without fear of losing their culture and identity; it will help them shape an identity that encompasses the best of both worlds and prevents their isolation and marginalization.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 1, 2021
- Teaching / Instruction
- English as a Secondary Language (ESL)
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- Public Speaking
- Orientation or Training
- Time Commitment -Flexible 2 - 4 hours per week -Consistent availability on weekdays from 10:30 am to 12:00 pm