23 people are interested
Become a MentorU Big!
ORGANIZATION: Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
Please visit the new page to apply.
23 people are interested
WHAT IS MENTORU?
MentorU provides screened and trained volunteer mentors to high school youth enrolled in an academic enrichment class intended to keep students on track for graduation and success.
To help high school students develop personal, academic, and career skills.
HOW DOES MENTORU WORK?
- Class Sessions
- Students attend weekly class sessions led by the MentorU Program Coordinator to learn the week’s curriculum.
- Mentors respond to weekly messages from students with prompts based on that week's topics.
- Monthly Events
- Students and mentors meet virtually 7 - 9 times in a school year to work through interactive activities. (will move to in-person meetings once it is safe)
- Staff Support
- Each match is supported by the Big Brothers Big Sisters MentorU Program Coordinator to provide coaching, resources, and guidance throughout the duration of the match.
After being matched in the program for several months, youth begin to show improvement in the following:
- 76% improved academic performance
- 96% improved self-esteem
- 88% plan to go to college
- 93% avoided alcohol, drugs, and/or physical violence
About Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands
10831 Old Mill Road, Suite 400, Omaha, NE 68154, US
Create and support one-to-one mentoring relationships that ignite the power and promise of youth.
For more than 60 years, Big Brothers Big Sisters of the Midlands has operated under the belief that inherent in every child is the ability to succeed and thrive in life. As a donor and volunteer supported organization, Big Brothers Big Sisters makes meaningful, monitored matches between adult volunteers ("Bigs") and children ("Littles"), ages 7 through 14, throughout the Omaha/Council Bluffs metro area. We develop positive friendships that have a direct and lasting effect on the lives of young people that helps them realize their potential and build their futures. With your help, we nurture children and strengthen communities.
Become a mentor and grow together by becoming a Defender of Potential!
Omaha/Council Bluffs MetroOmaha, NE 68108
November 16, 2023
- Case Work / Management
- Child Advocacy
- Community Outreach
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 19
- Orientation or Training
- -Weekly online communication. -2.5 hours total per month. -7 to 9 virtual meetings (1.5 hours per meeting) -Commit to the program for two school years
- -Must be a high school graduate or have a GED. -Must be at least 19 years of age. -Must have a valid driver's license and car insurance. -Complete a background and reference check.