9 people are interested
Front Desk Greeter
9 people are interested
NMAS needs several volunteers to assist with staffing the Front Desk during normal operating hours. The skills possessed by this group of volunteers directly tie into the museum’s mission by creating a welcoming environment for visitors coming to the museum as they learn about the United States Navy’s enlisted sailor.
As of July 1, 2021 there is an immediate need for volunteers who are available on Wednesday's!
- Cheerfully greets the public as they enter and exit the museum
- Briefly orientate visitors to the museum, our programs and upcoming events
- Outlines museum activities, provides orientation information about the galleries, and provide directional services (e.g., bathroom, public telephone, taxi, food service, etc.)
- Answers the museum's central telephone lines promptly, answer inquiries courteously, and direct callers to appropriate staff offices and individuals as needed
- Observes individuals entering the museum entrance and report any irregularities to the Duty Manager
- If desired, assists with small projects, which may be performed at the Front Desk for other Museum departments, as needed.
- Skills Required
- Good communication skills
- Ability to interact with a diverse group of people
- Must be punctual & dependable
- Solid organizational and problem-solving skills
- Ability to work as a team player
- "Nice to Have" Skills
- Bilingual abilities (any language will be considered)
- Willingness to learn software programs as needed
- Interest in history or military history
- Work setting is inside Building 42, the home of the National Museum of the American Sailor. Work takes place at the Front Desk located in the main lobby.
- NMAS will provide all tools, equipment, and supplies as needed.
- Dress code is comfortable business casual. Volunteer must wear closed-toe shoes.
Note: Front Desk Greeters are welcome to bring a book to read, or borrow one from NMAS’ Resource Library, during their volunteer shifts so long as the public is welcomed. NMAS staff may also have small projects for the volunteer to assist with if so desired.
- 09:00 AM to 01:00 PM
- 01:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About National Museum of the American Sailor
2531 Sheridan Road, Great Lakes, IL 60088, US
As an official Department of the Navy museum under the Naval History and Heritage Command, the National Museum of the American Sailor’s mission is to collect, preserve, and interpret the history of the United States Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the U.S. Navy and the people of the United States.
NMAS will fulfill this mission by:
- Serving as a vital part of the heritage training process for all Navy recruits and connecting them to the Navy’s long tradition of Honor, Courage, and Commitment. The institution also plays an important role in the Navy community by hosting naval traditions and activities that promote Naval Heritage to the greater community.
- Collecting and exhibiting United States Naval history that is accurate, complete and unbiased.
- Preserving the physical legacy and historical experiences of the Navy’s Enlisted Sailor for the benefit of the United States Navy and the general public.
- Anticipating the United States Navy’s future historical needs by creating strategies and policies for the selection and acquisition of historical material.
- Developing innovative and inspirational educational programs and exhibits that broaden and deepen public knowledge and appreciation of the significance of the United States Sailor.
2531 Sheridan RoadBuilding 42North Chicago, IL 60088
August 18, 2021
- Office Reception
- Customer Service
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Orientation or Training
- Front Desk shifts are Monday-Saturday, from either 9am-1pm or 1pm-5pm. A volunteer in this position will ideally work a minimum of two shifts (whichever time range) per month, with a three-month commitment is required for this volunteer position.