7 people are interested
Volunteer Board Member
7 people are interested
Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area
Board Member Job Description
Summary: The Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area Board of Directors is an entity which governs the affairs of Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area, a private, nonprofit organization that provides free, private, individualized, and confidential tutoring in basic reading, writing, and English to adult Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL.) Board officers and members are elected at the Annual Meeting.
Responsibilities: 1. Responsible for long-range and strategic planning, resource development, financial oversight, policy development, maintaining legal affairs, and board development.
- Active participation is the highest priority. Must attend at least two-thirds of the monthly Board meetings. Attendance at special events such as the annual meeting, fundraising or recognition events is also expected.
- Participate in at least one committee (executive, nominating, board development, fundraising and publicity.)
- Within financial means, make an annual financial contribution to the organization.
Qualifications: 1. Committed, enthusiastic, and willing to participate in the development and growth of the organization.
- Ability to work as part of the team and with a diverse group of tutors and students.
- Interest in adult literacy, and sensitivity to students and volunteers.
- Ability to provide expertise in at least one area needed by the organization, e.g. public relations, fund-raising, financial management, electronic media management.
About Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area
610 Main St., c/o Fitchburg Public Library, Fitchburg, MA 01420, US
Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area believes that the ability to read and write is critical to personal freedom and the maintenance of a democratic society. Our mission, therefore, is to promote increased adult literacy in the Montachusett Area through the use of professionally trained and supported volunteers. Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area provides FREE, student-centered, private and confidential instruction to adults with literacy skills below the sixth grade level, and support services for volunteers and learners. Literacy Volunteers of the Montachusett Area also collaborates with individuals, groups and organizations desiring to foster increased literacy.
Our services provide individual tutoring in the North Central MA region (26 cities and Towns). Tutors and students meet at a time and place that is convenient for each match. Libraries are usually the ideal meeting place due to the availability of quiet areas and unlimited resources.
Tutors are professionally trained before being matched with a student. The trainings are held about three times a year.
610 Main StreetFitchburg, MA 01420
August 4, 2021
- Public Relations
- Capacity Planning
- Copy Writing / Copy Editing
- Social Media / Blogging
- Grant Writing / Research
- Must be at least 18
- The full board meets every other month. Each board member serves on a committee and so there are committee meetings as well as work being done between those meetings. Each board member can serve 2 consecutive 3-year terms.