9 people are interested
Shop for Change Volunteers Needed!
Please visit the new page to apply.
9 people are interested
Our thrift store is in serious need of volunteer support at PRISM. Without the help of our volunteers, we are unable to sort and move enough in-kind donations in our store, resulting in a loss of revenue for our basic needs programs, including our Marketplace Food Shelf and our Homelessness Prevention programs. Please consider giving us your support - it will go a long and personal way for our community members!
Volunteer Job Description - Shop for Change Thrift Store
Volunteers are key components in PRISM’s mission of providing social services and connections that empower people in our community to build healthy, stable lives, and our vision to lead in providing innovative and dignified services that foster resilient individuals and a healthier, more sustainable community. Funds from our Shop for Change Thrift Store help fund our basic needs programs, including our Marketplace Food Shelf and Housing Assistance programs. If you're a personal thrifter, we would love to have you as an addition to our team!
Location: 1220 Zane Ave N, Golden Valley, Minnesota 55422
Volunteer Job Responsibilities:
- All shoppers should be treated with respect, courtesy, and friendliness while shopping.
- Volunteers are expected to provide great customer service.
The Shop for Change Thrift Store offers quality, affordable clothing and household items to the general public. Volunteers working in the Shop for Change Thrift Store will perform a variety of duties including:
- Accept donations from the public, offer and provide the donor with a receipt if requested.
- Review and sort clothing and household donations for stains, tears or damage, and salability
- Prepare items for sale in thrift store such as putting clothing on hangers or cleaning hard goods
- Stock thrift store shelves with priced items as space on racking and shelves allow
- Directly serve our participants and shoppers at the register
- Break down packaging and trash
- Package items determined not to be sold in Shop for Change Thrift Store for donation to another nonprofit, typically the Salvation Army
- Maintain a clean, safe, and orderly work and store environment
- Notify staff, an experienced volunteer or note on white board any issues
- Other duties as assigned
Experienced Volunteer Duties
With additional experience and training, volunteers may be considered Experienced Volunteers. Experienced volunteers will fulfill all of the above opportunities and the following:
- Review, keep, or donate determination made by volunteer
- Research items that might be valuable. These might be sold on online websites such as eBay.
- Price items for sale using PRISM guidelines
- Update communication board with information for day and shift.
- Orient and train new volunteers on Shop for Change Thrift Store operations
- Be a key resource for volunteers
Knowledge, Skills, Education, Experience:
- Effective interpersonal skills under all types of conditions, exhibiting a supportive, direct, and positive approach with participants, staff and other volunteers
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Volunteers with experience in retail and/or direct customer service do particularly well here
- Ability to use a cash register
- Be able to use step stools and/or ladders
- Be able to use scissors and box-cutters
- Must wear close-toed footwear
- Must not have a felony record nor a misdemeanor record related to theft
The Shop for Change Thrift Shop volunteers report to the Thrift Shop Director, who arranges the schedule for volunteer shifts and staffing. Volunteers may also report to our Volunteer Manager, Nolan Isaacson, with other questions regarding their participation.
Please reach out to email@example.com with "Volunteer Opportunity" somewhere in the subject line. We will then instruct you on our application process and schedule a time to meet with you!
- 09:00 AM to 01:00 PM
- 01:00 PM to 05:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
1220 Zane Ave No, Golden Valley, MN 55422, US
To provide social services and connections that empower people in our community to build healthy, stable lives.
At PRISM, those in need will always find an ally. We promise to treat every person with the inherent dignity they deserve. We trust in the power of our community as together we meet our neighbor's right to healthy food, proper clothing, and housing stability. We are humbled by the trust extended to us by our many partners, and pledge to be an exceptional partner in and for our communities. We promise to empower those with whom we work in the cause of building healthy, stable lives.
1220 Zane Ave NoGolden Valley, MN 55422
August 23, 2022
- Business Development & Sales Management
- Retail / Sales
- Community Outreach
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Must be at least 16
- Orientation or Training
- We offer a very flexible schedule and have opportunities to volunteer Mon-Sat. General hours of Shop for Change are 9-5 Mon-Fri, 9-7 Thurs and 9-3 Sat.