7 people are interested
Volunteer with Veterans
7 people are interested
Altus Hospice wants to enlist your services to help veterans near the end of life.
We are looking for Veterans of the Armed Forces & others who want to honor & support our living heroes. All Volunteers are trained to meet specific end-of-life needs of Veterans to improve their quality of life.
Altus Wants You To:
- Visit terminally ill Veteran
- Listen to life stories, even recording or videotaping a Veteran's reminiscences
- Telephone Veterans to ask how they are doing
- Attend or help plan activities celebrating Veteran holidays & events
Volunteers comprise a crucial component of the Altus Hospice Team. They provide practical & emotional support to Patients & Families when they need it most, and are available to sit by a bedside & lend an ear.
The Veteran's perspective
Many Veterans receiving hospice care appreciate contact with Volunteers who are also Veterans, even if they served in a different time or place. As members (or ex-members) of the military themselves, the Volunteers are intimately acquainted with the types of issues Veteran's face and they can often empathize in a way that even the hospice team or family members cannot.
Altus Veteran Volunteers:
- Listen to patients & their families. They are sensitive to fellow Veterans' needs, and understand firsthand the services they rendered and the sacrifices made.
- Help revive memories, Veteran volunteers are knowledgeable about the historical contexts of Veterans' service, and can help Patients recapture their memories and pass them on to their families.
- Coordinate replacement medals. Veteran volunteers are familiar with the military channels through which replacement medals are required.
- Raise community awareness. Veteran volunteers can help nursing homes, assisted living and long term care facilities to plan events that recognize Veterans' service on important holidays.
About Altus Hospice
100 College Street, Round Rock, TX 78664, US
The Mission of Altus Hospice is to provide professional care with a personal touch. We accomplish this by focusing on both the patient and their family. We will treat the disease process with medical expertise while emphasizing quality living, not only physically, but also psychosocially, emotionally and spiritually. Comfort, compassion and calming presence are the gifts we bring to this service, and we are honored to walk with the patient and loved ones through this special time.
Our job providing end of life care is a sacred one, one which we view as a privilege. The Altus Hospice staff has a duty to treat each individual under our care, as well as our fellow team members, with the utmost respect, while honoring each individual’s choices and core values. To that end, we will listen intently, respond accordingly and serve humbly.
285 SE Inner Loop, Suite 102Georgetown, TX 78626
September 22, 2021
- Patient Care
- Hospice Care
- Veteran Care
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 1-2 hours a week