Slumber Pups Dog Foster
The Dog Foster Slumber Pup Volunteer is responsible for the daily care of foster dogs in their home under the direction and care of the Blue Ridge Humane Society. Effective listening, communication and animal handling are required. Dog Foster volunteers must complete an online orientation and phone call with the Behavior and Training Manager prior to being approved for fostering.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Including but not limited to:
- Adhere to dog foster training manual policies and procedures
- Daily care of foster including feeding, petting, exercising, playtime, grooming, training in basic manners and administering required medications as needed.
- Isolate owned animals from foster for at least 14 days unless given express permission otherwise.
- Work with pet to prepare them for their new home which includes but not limited to housetraining, crate training and basic training.
- Follow any specific behavior plans provided by Behavior and Training Manager and medical plans created by the Quality Care Manager.
- Provide specific information on how the animal behaves in the home to foster care staff.
- Basic understanding and acceptance of BRHS’ adoption procedures and protocols.
- Transport foster to Adoption Center for spay-neuter drop off surgery.
- Follow contactless procedures for pick up and drop off at the Adoption Center.
- Observe and report any changes in behavior, temperament foster care staff immediately.
- Ability to recognize signs and symptoms of illness and report to staff immediately.
- Responsiveness to contact via email and/or phone call from Adoption Center Staff.
- Completed required trainings provided by BRHS staff or third party organizations.
- Other duties as assigned.
To perform this volunteer job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty in a satisfactory manner.The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain a humane attitude at all times towards the animals in your care; must be knowledgeable of proper animal handling.
- Basic understanding of animal behavior, to ensure your safety and in preventing a possible animal bite
- Completion of online orientation and phone call with Behavior and Training Manager
- Ability and willingness to follow medical and/or behavior plan instructions
- Reliable transportation for transporting foster to medical or adoption appointments
- telephone and internet access
- Must share Blue Ridge Humane Society’s commitment to animals
- Highly motivated and self-directed
- Possess good judgment when dealing with the public and animals.
- Ability to work with a diverse population and establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships with the public, donors, volunteers, staff, and management in a respectful and courteous manner
- Must love animals AND people!
About Blue Ridge Humane Society
88 Centipede Lane, HENDERSONVLLE, NC 28792, US
We are dedicated to ensuring the highest quality of life for animals in Henderson County and our neighboring communities through adoption, outreach, and education.
The Blue Ridge Humane Society offers a variety of volunteer opportunities from assisting in our Adoption Center, Thrift Store, and with Community Programs! If you are a dog or cat lover, we are looking for driven individuals who are believe in ensuring the highest quality of life for animals in Henderson County. There are so many pieces that go into fulfilling our mission from adoption, prevention, and education and we need volunteers throughout every step of the way!
Multiple locations Hendersonville, NC 28792
August 16, 2021
- Animal Care / Handling
- Must be at least 17
- Orientation or Training
- Short term foster care for animals awaiting spay/neuter surgery
- Foster orientation