Adult Reading & Writing Tutor - One-on-One
Position Title: Adult Reading & Writing Tutor - One-on-One
Organization: Riverside County Library Systems Literacy Services
Volunteers needed: On an as-needed basis to meet the needs of the program
Meet new people from your community with our literacy services! The RCLS Adult Literacy program provides free one-on-one tutoring to adults. A tutor works with a learner to achieve their literacy goals in reading, writing, listening, speaking and digital skills. One-on-one sessions are offered year around. Sessions are conducted both virtually and in-person at an RCLS library branch.
No educational experience required! Training and continuous support is provided by RCLS Literacy Services!
- Provide one-on-one tutoring to an adult learner to build basic literacy skills in 2-hour weekly sessions for a minimum of six months
- Create, implement and document learning materials for each tutoring session
- Submit monthly reports on time spent, goals worked on, challenges faced, milestones achieved and other pertinent data
- Maintain frequent and timely contact with RCLS literacy staff regarding learner needs, concerns, questions,...etc.
- Attend bi-monthly tutor support meetings and continuing tutor development trainings
- English speakers of all levels are encouraged to apply!
- Familiarity and comfortability using a computer, email, Microsoft Office and Google Suite programs
- Completion of 6-hour literacy tutor training
- Able to maintain a minimum six month commitment meeting with adult learners weekly
- Flexible, dependable, caring, inclusive and culturally-sensitive attitude
- Experience using Zoom or working in a virtual setting is preferred
- Individuals of color, individuals with a disability and members of the LGBTQ+ community are strongly encouraged to apply!
Time Commitment: 3-4 hours per week; 12-16 hours per month for a minimum of 6 months
Provided Training and Support:
New literacy tutor training sessions are scheduled quarterly (January, April, July and October) and as-needed year round to orient volunteer tutors to the Adult Literacy program. Adult literacy tutors meet bi-monthly to develop tutor-identified skills. Adult literacy tutors have access to literacy services staff members who are available for support anytime while volunteering. All learning material is provided by RCLS Literacy Services.
Benefits of Volunteering with RCLS:
- Gain confidence - Volunteering can help you gain confidence working with others in a professional, supportive setting
- Make a difference - Volunteering has a real, positive effect in people’s lives
- Be part of a rich community - Volunteering can help you feel part of the larger community
- Learn new skills - Volunteering can help you learn new skills, gain experience and sometimes even qualifications
- Take on a new challenge - Volunteering provides the opportunity to challenge yourself by trying something new, achieving personal goals and practicing your skills
Contact Person: Allyson Jeffredo, Family Literacy Coordinator, at Allyson.Jeffredo@rivlib.net or (951) 840-7901
About Riverside County Library System Foundation
Riverside County Library System Foundation, Riverside, CA 92501, US
The mission of Riverside County Library Systems is to support literacy, access to information and technology through community partnerships, credibility, and positive, caring community interactions.
Literacy/Technology/Education/Job Skill Building
Community Empowerment Sustainability
Books, Media, Programming, Resources
3240 Hamner AvenueNorco, CA 92860
October 18, 2021
- Literacy / Reading
- Teaching / Instruction
- Adult Education
- Reading / Writing
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- Approximately 3-4 hours/week or 16 hours/month
- Tutors are required to undergo an initial interview, new tutor training and attend continuing education opportunities throughout volunteering.