FoodRx Patient Connect Volunteer (18+)
Are you committed to connecting people to nutritious food? Do you excel at phone based customer service?
You can join the rapidly growing FOODRx team, an award-winning program that is on a mission to provide millions of nutritious meals for patients who can’t afford to buy enough healthy food to meet their medical needs. By building meaningful connections between patients, health care clinics, and food security solutions, the FOODRx program has demonstrated significant improvements in the health of our patients.
In this volunteer position, you will play a role in this work by providing compassionate, high quality, and culturally sensitive engagement with FOODRxpatients. This position is responsible for screening and enrollment of eligible patients into the FOODRx program, engaging with patients during their enrollment and FOODRx participation, and partnering closely with the Patient Engagement Coordinator, who has relationships with our health care partners to deliver an optimal and positive patient experience.
To be successful in this role, you'll bring excellent communication, administrative skills, and personal initiative. The right volunteer must be passionate and empathetic with our patients who struggle with hunger and health issues. We are looking for a highly motivated self-starter with an engaging personality who thrives in a dynamic and fast-moving environment. Healthcare experience welcomed but not required!
- Become knowledgeable about eligibility requirements for the FOODRx program.
- Conduct cold calls to screen and enroll eligible patients into the program.
- Follow-up with enrolled patients over the phone for monthly reminders.
- Assist with administrative support.
- Connect clients with additional resources.
- Collect required data and provide timely, accurate and complete reports that support the Patient Engagement Coordinator.
- Preserve patient confidentiality at all times by adhering to HIPAA guidelines.
- Perform other duties assigned by Patient Engagement Coordinator.
- Willing to complete a criminal background check and civil rights training.
- Able to work independently and ask questions if needed.
- Comfortable on the telephone.
- Comfortable assisting people of diverse economic, social, and ethnic backgrounds. Volunteer will be communicating with and assisting patients from many different cultures and ethnicities.
- Comfortable working with people who speak different languages and able to work around language barriers.Volunteers will be able to use a translation service called Language Line to helpfacilitate conversation.
- Ability to multitask; specifically, the ability to ask for information and accurately enter it into the computer while on the phone.
- Attempt to complete a minimum of12calls per shift (subject to change).
- Desired computer skills:
- Accurate typing & data entry
- Internet navigation
- Basic computer skills,Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and Outlook)
- Knowledge of HIPAA guidelines preferred but not required.
TIME REQUIREMENTS AND SCHEDULE:
- Total time requirement: 6-month minimum commitment
- Days of the week: Monday through Friday shifts available - Tuesday preferred
- Start date: As soon as possible
- Shift: 1 shift per week (possibility of 2 times a week in the future)for a minimum of 3 hours between 8:00 am and 4:30 pm
- Work site: 7101 Winnetka Ave. No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
HOW TO APPLY: Visit the opportunity on our portal, www.volunteer.2harvest.org and if the opportunity sounds like a good fit for you, click on "Respond" to express your interest and complete the initial steps in the process. After responding, you’ll get an email confirming your interest and a link to our application.
Questions? Reach out to Beth Ashton, firstname.lastname@example.org.
About Second Harvest Heartland
7101 Winnetka Ave No., Brooklyn Park, MN 55428, US
The mission of Second Harvest Heartland is to end hunger through community partnerships. At Second Harvest Heartland, our volunteer partners do more than enrich our work, they ground us to our mission of ending hunger together. We integrate volunteers into all aspects of creating and delivering solutions that will free our neighbors of hunger.
More than a food bank, Second Harvest Heartland is a leading partner in the policies and programs that work to end hunger, like SNAP, school meals and senior nutrition programs, and we’re an innovator in the areas where food can be the solution, like FOODRx and Minnesota Central Kitchen.
Second Harvest Heartland is a member of Feeding America, a national network of more than 200 food banks serving every state in the United States. Membership means access to millions of pounds of surplus food and grocery donations from manufacturers and producers throughout the country.
Working with our network of partners, volunteers and donors as well as people like you, our 90,000+ square feet of dry, refrigerator and freezer space is constantly accepting and distributing donations. Our fleet of trucks travels nearly half a million miles a year, picking up food donations and delivering them to local food shelves, soup kitchens, homeless shelters, senior community centers and children's after school programs. Each year we distributed more than 100 million meals to our partners in hunger-relief. Learn more at 2harvest.org.
Click here to visit our volunteer portal and view all available opportunities.
7101 Winnetka Ave. No.Brooklyn Park, MN 55428
July 16, 2021
- People Skills
- Basic Computer Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 3 hours per shift, 1 shift per week, 6 month minimum commitment