DONATE TO THIS
12 people are interested
URGENT: Migrant Shelter Airport Guide
DONATE TO THIS
12 people are interested
Program: As part of the San Diego Rapid Relief Network, Jewish Family Service provides on-going services to help transition individuals and families who are seeking Asylum in the United States. These services are in response to the immediate needs of newly arrived migrants, it aims to help them reach their sponsors in other parts of the country. With ankle monitors and notices to appear in court, as many as 30-40 families a day are arriving in need of food, shelter, and medical care. With our partners in the SDRRN, JFS is able to meet the needs of these families and provide them multiple services to assist in their journey ahead. Based on the current COVID-19 pandemic, asylum seekers released by the government will stay in individual hotel rooms for their short stay instead of joining other families in a congregant living setting at a shelter. In partnership with the San Diego Rapid Response Network, JFS will continue to provide case management, travel assistance, nutrition services, medical screenings, and financial support for migrant families.
Goal of Position: Assist shelter guests in navigating the airport/greyhound surroundings so they can safely board their flight/bus travel to their sponsor families. Guides will be sent information on the families they will guide the night before. If you are available to be on-call for day-of needs, please indicate on-call availability in the notes section when signing up. Last minute bookings are a regular part of our rhythm and we'd love additional help if you have any flexibility!
- Answer the health screening questions above.
- Sanitize vehicle surfaces before and after escorting guests.
- Wear a face mask for the duration of your shift.
- Pick up guest paperwork and car seats from a JFS location.
- Pick up families from their respective hotels.
- Escort guests in your personal vehicle to the greyhound or airport. (Or meet them at the greyhound/airport if your vehicle cannot hold the number of guests.)
- Help guests print tickets at the kiosk.
- Explain the travel process to the guests.
- Obtain your escort pass so you can easily move through the airport/bus station with guests, assisting them to the appropriate gate.
- Return car seat to JFS location.
- Language recommendations include Spanish, Haitian, and Russian.
- Must be able to effectively communicate with guests and airport/bus staff.
- Must effectively navigate the transportation facility.
- 1 - 4 hours
Interested in getting started? Please email: email@example.com
- 03:00 AM to 08:00 AM
- 09:00 AM to 12:00 PM
- 07:00 PM to 11:00 PM
- NONE OF THESE TIMES WORK FOR ME, BUT I CAN STILL HELP
About Jewish Family Service of San Diego
8804 Balboa Avenue, SAN DIEGO, CA 92123, US
Jewish Family Service is a client-centered, impact-driven organization working to build a stronger, healthier, more resilient San Diego. Our wide range of integrated services Empower Individuals & Families to Move Toward Self-Sufficiency, Support Aging With Dignity, and Foster Community Connection & Engagement throughout San Diego County and the Coachella Valley.
Founded in 1918, we are one of San Diego’s most impactful non-profit human services agencies. Last year, we served more than 39,500 clients, including over 17,000 asylum seekers at the JFS Migrant Family Shelter. Our broad network of staff, volunteers, supporters, and community partners are committed to the pursuit of one shared goal: helping individuals and families in San Diego Move Forward.
Various Locations Around San DiegoSan Diego, CA 92123
July 23, 2021
- People Skills
- Problem Solving
- Social Work
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- 4 hours
- background check, waiver, HIPAA training