Seeking Structural Engineer for Open Source Geodesic Dome Designs using RISA 3D
One Community is an all-volunteer nonprofit sustainability think tank. Our team is global and we do all our work virtually. We're seeking a Structural Engineer (P.E. or S.E.)* for these Open Source geodesic City Center Designs:
- 2+ years commercial design experience please*
- AutoCAD experience and your own copy of the software
- RISA 3D (or similar) and your own copy of the software
- Must be available for 10+ volunteer hours a week
- Must be self-motivated and comfortable working in a virtual environment (from home) using GoogleDocs and DropBox for collaboration
- Licensing in our state is not necessary, this is not for a final stamped review, that will come later and be done by someone else
ABOUT THE STRUCTURE
The Duplicable City Center is an open source dining hall and recreation hub designed to service 200+ people and function as the center of eco-humanitarian villages to be built around the world. No other organization in the world is creating open source designs like this.
- Must determine if wood or manufactured wood is to be used
- Must determine if 10" or 12" members are best to use
- Must include all structural elements that affect the design - sliding glass door entries, doorways, windows, support columns, etc.
- Must determine appropriate needed supports/cross beams within each dome triangle
- Must include a report so any other engineer can understand how and why we came to the conclusion we did
- Must include an organized file set so someone else wanting to build this structure somewhere else can download those files and the tutorial and use them to create a new set of files based on this new location and any other different criteria they may have
WHAT IT SHOULD LOOK LIKE WHEN DONE
- Complete design that meets engineering code requirements for California
- Complete design report that explains all steps and decisions made to arrive at your conclusion
- Complete, organized, and appropriately referenced file set to go with the tutorial
HOW TO APPLY
To apply and learn more about our organization and how we promote our volunteers, please visit our online application page here:
Alternatively, you are also welcome to send your resume and work samples directly to our Executive Director who is doing the interviewing and hiring for this position: email@example.com
About One Community
Virtual Opportunity, San Gabriel, CA 91775, US
One Community’s non-profit mission is transformational global change through designing, modeling, and open sourcing sustainably holistic, virally-self-replicating, Highest Good of All solutions. These solutions are founded on comprehensive and modifiable village/city models which can be duplicated globally. Duplication can be accomplished both modularly and/or as complete teacher/demonstration hubs and include sustainable solutions for infrastructure, food, education, economics, fulfilled living, and more.
Our vision is facilitating the creation of a new age of cooperation, collaboration, innovation, creativity, and increased happiness for humanity. We do this by demonstrating what’s possible, open sourcing and free-sharing the blueprints, and making modular or total duplication easy enough, affordable enough, and attractive enough, so that
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
September 20, 2021
- Mechanical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Minimum 10 hours a week to volunteer
- Software: AutoCAD, RISA 3D or similar