Graphic Design and Illustrator volunteer opportunity
Earth Island Institute
Gain experience and build your portfolio by volunteering at an innovative and dynamic environmental nonprofit connecting the next generation to public lands through hands-on learning. Our programs teach youth the importance of wildlife and habitat conservation, the vital role public lands play a role in sustainability, and give them the tools to become environmental stewards. Volunteering at Junior Wildlife Ranger, a project of the Earth Island Institute is a great way to give back to the community, develop your resume, and get involved with environmental education for youth at the national level on your own schedule.
We are looking for people who are great communicators. Your ability to exercise time-management and work independently is important; ability to work in a group is a must. Other qualifications are listed below.
- Time commitment is 3-4 hours a week, beginning May 2021 and ending November 2021.
- Start and end dates are flexible, though we are looking for candidates who can commit at least 6 months, if not more, to being an intern.
- This position is work-from-home on your own schedule. All volunteers should expect to meet with the team once a week, as well as work with interns from other teams on joint projects.
- Earning academic credit for volunteering is possible, if applicable.
Art & Design Team Responsibilities
- Design visual material in a wide variety of formats. Some examples include:
- Print media such as activity booklets, pamphlets, or flyers.
- Digital icons, graphics, and content for social media and the website.
- Apparel and merchandise
- * Your designs will be published online or printed.
- Ability and access to common digital art platforms. We rely heavily on Adobe software, so familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign highly recommended. Use of other platforms to produce work is fine, but you must be able to edit and export through the above file formats.
- The content produced by the Art & Design Team can be both graphic design and illustration oriented, so a background in both fields is recommended. One example is putting together an activity booklet from text and images generated by another intern, but also creating illustrations and visuals for the booklet.
- The final intern team will consist of both illustrators and graphic designers. Be prepared to commit to a weekly conference call to discuss project drafts and ideas. This is a very collaboration-heavy environment, and the ability to share ideas and work in a team is critical.
Please include a cover letter describing yourself, your relevant experience, and why you are motivated to work on this project. Include this information, along with your name, city, and state. If you have a resume, please attach it. Provide a sample of your work as a folder attachment or portfolio link.
Applications that do not include portfolios will NOT be considered. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Earth Island Institute
2150 Allston Way #460, Berkeley, CA 94704, US
Life on Earth is imperiled by human degradation of the biosphere. Earth Island Institute develops and supports projects that counteract threats to the biological and cultural diversity that sustain the environment. Through education and activism, these projects promote the conservation, preservation, and restoration of the Earth.
Earth Island Institute (EII), founded in 1982 by veteran environmentalist David Brower, fosters the efforts of creative individuals by providing organizational support in developing projects for the conservation, preservation, and restoration of the global environment. EII provides activists the freedom to develop program ideas, supported by services to help them pursue those ideas, with a minimum of bureaucracy.