AmeriCorps Veteran Advocate
CENTRAL NEW YORK COMMUNITY SOLUTIONS INC
We are looking for dedicated people to help veterans and active military members to have a better life through accessing services and assistance.
Stop talking about the problem and be the solution. #BeTheGreaterGood Join AmeriCorps. Utica Municipal Housing Authority AmeriCorps is an exciting program whereby you help others, prepare for a career in human services, and make a difference! You can help veterans in need to get the services they need. AmeriCorps is a professional mentoring program that may lead to a permanent job if the member successfully completes the year. Like Peace Corps, AmeriCorps members are paid volunteers who help to improve our community/ AmeriCorps provides an opportunity to learn new skills, gain valuable work experience, help others, and serve your nation. Here is information about the positions: We also offer to members a personal assistance program to upgrade your skills and job readiness. AmeriCorps Members may collect unemployment while enrolled in the program so long as they are ready and willing to accept employment.
Please note that we accept applications on an on-going basis.
Duties of AmeriCorps Members
The AmeriCorps member will provide advocacy services that enable low-income and homeless veterans and their families to stabilize, recover, and rebuild their lives. The member will work to:
- Provide assistance to veterans and their families on issues related to housing, employment, consumer, health, government benefits, food access, child support, and other matters
- Build relationships with community partners, including staff at the VA hospitals, clinics, and veterans centers, as well as work with law schools
- Deliver presentations on veterans’ rights and benefits, and create educational tools and resources that can be shared across their host organization and with community partners
YOU MUST APPLY NOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED.
Applications are due as soon as possible and are reviewed on a first come basis.
Please call 315.982.3731 for an immediate Zoom interview or send an email .
You can email your resume or pick up an application at the Utica Municipal Housing Authority, 509 2nd Street, Utica, NY 13501.
- Remote interview process
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
- Must be able to begin in May 2021 for this term; 2. Must be at least 18 years old; 3. Must have a minimum of a High School diploma or GED/HSED; 4. Must be willing to serve until December 31, 2021; 5. Must work 35-40 hours per week; 6. Criminal background checks and drug testing required; 7. We will check your social media; 8. Driver's license is required; 9. Some college is preferred.10. Computer literacy is necessary. 11. Must get along with others and together as as part of a team. 12. Passion to help others and change society. 13. Commitment to veterans. 14. Must have positive social media experience.
Benefits: Full-time members receive a living allowance of $14,279 on an annual basis (about $540 before taxes every two weeks). You must agree to serve until December 31. Segal AmeriCorps Education Award before taxes upon successful completion of 1700/1200/900 hours, student loan forbearance, Health insurance, child care benefits, and work-related travel reimbursement, if eligible. AmeriCorps income is not counted for HUD rental assistance or SNAP. For 1700 hour members, college award is $6,345, 1200 hours $4,441.50, and 900 hours - $3,172.50
About CENTRAL NEW YORK COMMUNITY SOLUTIONS INC
509 SECOND STREET, UTICA, NY 13501, US
The mission of Central New York Community Solutions is to develop, maintain, and enhance decent, safe and affordable living environments that foster stability and increase self-sufficiency for people with low incomes. It is the nonprofit affiliate corporation of the Municipal Housing Authority of the City of Utica, New York that provides homelessness prevention and rehousing, supportive services, financial literacy, homeownership counseling, job development, and veteran services. Established in 1937, the Utica Housing Authority is Utica's largest landlord, a major developer of affordable housing in Central New York, and provider of high quality resident and community supportive services.
Self-Sufficiency Housing Resource Center is a one stop housing navigator center that seeks to provide housing and information referral services to 150 per year through housing counseling, referrals, and application assistance. The center provides free information assistance, referral, advocacy, and support to individuals and families who need help finding and maintaining their housing, particularly low-income, homeless, and housing unstable people. We help people access affordable housing/rental assistance programs, find homeless people temporary and permanent housing, provide tenant responsibility education, help to prevent evictions and foreclosures, assist first-time homebuyers to purchase their first homes, and offer assistance to homeowners seeking home improvement grants and loans. We also provide other self-sufficiency services such as financial literacy and job placement. The Resource Center is operated by the staff as well as AmeriCorps members assigned to the Municipal Authority of the City of Utica, New York. It has developed partnerships with local public and private agencies to deliver effective services. It is a project of Housing Authority's new nonprofit affiliate corporation - Central New York Community Solutions, Inc. (CNYCS). CNYCS was formed to help the housing authority to diversify its funding base and reduce its reliance on government funding programs.