Board of Director Member
East Somerville Main Streets
Board of Director Member - Volunteer Job
East Somerville Main Streets:
East Somerville Main Streets is a 501(c)(3) organization that supports the East Somerville Business District by building investment, connection and pride in our main street. We do this by strengthening the role of the East Broadway Business District as a commercial center, promoting the East Broadway Business District as a remarkable and unique cultural destination, known for celebrating its traditions and heritage and maintaining the community’s diversity and we promote social connectedness within the neighborhood.
The East Somerville Main Street (ESMS) Board of Directors comprises leaders from the East Somerville business district and community members who are dedicated to the organization’s mission. As the organization strives to support the commercial district, the Board strives to be a model of local community engagement.
Our board members champion the East Somerville Business District and believe that through invested community development the business district will retain its cultural integrity while also growing to a sustainable level that is vibrant and attractive to the community and visitors alike.
In addition to the standard roles and responsibilities of a board member, our board members are active advocates and ambassadors for the organization and are fully engaged in identifying and securing the financial resources and partnerships necessary for East Somerville Main Streets to advance its mission.
The Main Street Approach
The Main Street Approach offers community-based revitalization initiatives with a practical, adaptable framework for downtown transformation that is easily tailored to local conditions. The Main Street Approach helps communities get started with revitalization, and grows with them over time. The Main Street Approach is centered around the Four Points: Economic Vitality, Design, Promotion, and Organization.
Job Title: Volunteer Board Member (Small Business Expertise)
Collectively, the Board of Directors leads the organization in fulfilling its mission: to improve the life of our community by building investment, connection and pride in our main street. It does this by creating a strategic course for the organization to fulfill this mission, calling for the most effective and efficient use of resources to fulfill that course. The Board assumes legal and philosophical responsibility for East Somerville Main Streets; they are responsible for establishing program policy, approving the annual program budget, and determining the goals of the program. Members of the Board are leaders in the community. They proudly represent the assets of East Somerville and what could be possible for the neighborhood.
- A demonstrated interest in the program’s purpose and its goals.
- An annual supporter of East Somerville Main Streets - making a donation that is meaningful to the individual board member
- Be an East Somerville resident, business and/or property owner, a representative of an organization working in East Somerville and/or worship or work in or have a strong commitment to East Somerville’s improvement. (The boundaries of East Somerville are defined as Somerville between the McGrath Highway, the Mystic River and the Somerville City Line.)
- At least 3 hours per month of time available (1.5 in board meeting, 1.5 beyond, with occasional special events 3-4x per year)
Desired Skills and Expertise
We are currently recruiting for diverse leaders with expertise in one or more of the following:
- Small business development including assessing financial health and growth opportunities
- Small business law (lease negotiation, tax filing, etc.)
- Small business capital lending (small business loans and alternative financing)
- Online marketing tools for small businesses (websites, social media, web platforms)
- Commercial development
- Artistic, cultural or environmental programs as they relate to placemaking (public art, public events and performances, streetscape improvement initiatives)
- Non-profit fundraising, board development and program development
How to apply:
Please send cover letter and resume to Director@eastosomervillemainstreets.org with the subject line "Board Position"
About East Somerville Main Streets
3 Glen St, Somerville, MA 02145, US
Our mission is to improve the life of our community by building investment, connection and pride in our main street. We do this through a variety of ways including: - Strengthening the role of the East Broadway Business District as a commercial center for the eastern half of Somerville and western part of Charlestown - Promoting the East Broadway Business District as a remarkable and unique cultural destination, known for celebrating its traditions and heritage and maintaining the community’s diversity. - Enhancing social connectedness within the neighborhood.
"When East Somerville Main Streets started, each business worked more or less alone to grow. At the start, East Somerville Main Streets worked to build a relationship with each of the restaurant owners and then to bring us together as a community. Problem-solving has gotten a lot easier. We now solve our problems through communicating; we know who to talk to or where to address something and we can speak through one voice." - Befekadu Defar, Owner of Fasika