Graphic Designer for Book Cover - Remote
Community Literature Initiative
The Community Literature Initiative (CLI) is looking for a Volunteer Book Cover Designer. In this role, you will be responsible for designing the book covers and will assist in turning a completed author manuscript into a print-ready format book. You will work alongside prospective authors/students through the guidance of our book production team in order to produce high-quality, innovative and contemporary cover designs.
With the support of our staff, you will play a pivotal role in establishing the aesthetic representation of our book designs. Your book designs may even be published through our partnership with the World Stage Press.
You will be using your design skills to uplift the voices of poets across the Greater Los Angeles area. Your work will help push our mission of creating an accessible, inclusive, and encouraging space for writers, poets, and artists alike.
- Draft and design contemporary front and back covers for US Trade size printed paperback books, using the Amazon KDP calculator and any of our resources for reference
- Coordinate and comply with authors and the CLI Book Production team to revise designs until all parties are satisfied
- Communicate with authors and CLI Book Production Team team via Zoom, Trello, phone, and email in a timely manner
- Ensure all pertinent parties have completed files that are in Print Ready Format for Local Printing (Gutter, Margin, Cropmarks) and Amazon KDP
- Provide graphic design files when requested
- Assist with the revision of existing files and collaborate with team members
Community Literature Initiative is committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Community Literature Initiative will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the application or interview process, or to perform essential job functions, please contact Monica at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Familiarity with Trello, G Suite, Asana, and ability to learn additional software programs
- Highly experienced with Adobe Suite (namely InDesign, Photoshop & Illustrator)
- An organized team player with a strong work ethic, excellent communication, and time management skills. An eye for design is a must!
- Interest in any of the following: graphic design, book publishing, poetry, creative writing, and nonprofit organizations
About Community Literature Initiative
2702 W. Florence Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90047, US
Create an accessible, inclusive, and encouraging space for writers, poets, and artists alike.
The Community Literature Initiative is a Los Angeles based nonprofit organization focused on teaching writers in the city how to create poetry and fiction of a publishable quality. The CLI course is a 10-month (September to June) training program to refine works-in-progress into finalized manuscripts ready for publication. At the conclusion of the 10-month program, all participants are guaranteed a first-book publishing contract with one of our partnering Los Angeles Small Presses. At the conclusion of our program, all students emerge knowledgeable published authors! In addition to offering these courses, CLI staff & students teach free creative writing courses in local high schools.