Board of Directors member - financial skills
BRIDGES OF HOPE ALLEGAN COUNTY
Our mission at Bridges of Hope, Allegan County is "to foster relationships with individuals desiring to move out of poverty by providing tools, support, education, and connections to community resources".
We are looking for board members - people who want to impact those in or near poverty in Allegan County. We especially need someone with accounting and financial oversight experience.
For more information about our programs, see www.bridgesofhopeallegancounty.org, and contact us with any questions!
BOARD MEMBER EXPECTATIONS:
- Read materials from a poverty awareness curriculum or attend a workshop where such materials are presented within six (6) months of joining the Board of Directors.
- Attend all board and committee meetings and as many functions, such as special events, as possible.
- Prepare for board meetings by reviewing the meeting agenda and supporting materials.
- Review monthly financial statements and approve the budget to ensure proper financial oversight
- Hear and act on committee reports and recommendations
- Review and adopt policies regarding overall governance
- Develop strategic plans
- Create and monitor committees and appoint chairpersons
- Serve on committees or task forces and commit to taking on special assignments
- Make a yearly personal financial contribution to the organization.
- Function as an advocate for organization to general public and to other individuals, agencies or businesses that have a direct or indirect interest in the mission of organization
- Recruit possible nominees to the board or to committees
- Keep abreast of and share new ideas or other information about poverty.
- Follow conflict-of-interest, confidentiality and code of conduct policies.
- Participate in fundraising, fund development and awareness opportunities through personal networking opportunities
PURPOSE OF THE BOARD:
- Establish the mission, vision, and values of Bridges of Hope, Allegan County (BOHAC), periodically re-assessing to ensure that it is adhering to its stated mission and purpose and making modifications as needed and when deemed appropriate.
- Ensure the legal, ethical, and financial integrity of BOHAC through compliance, transparency, and accountability.
- Enhance BOHAC’s awareness and public image, serving as ambassadors and advocates for the organization.
- Actively participate in BOHAC’s mission, strategy, goals, and program implementation through committee and project work.
About BRIDGES OF HOPE ALLEGAN COUNTY
108 E GRANT ST, PLAINWELL, MI 49080, US
Our mission is to foster relationships with individuals desiring to move out of poverty by providing tools, support, education, and connections to community resources.
We seek to establish relationships that provide encouragement and support in setting and attaining goals, so that people in or near poverty can rise above their circumstances, becoming economically stable and contributing to a thriving community. Our workshop approach enables participants to reflect upon and assess both themselves and their circumstances, to learn new ways of thinking about their challenges, and to set goals. All of this takes place in a safe and supportive environment where they are treated as experts on their own lives, rather than being expected to passively receive information and follow customary rules.
Both personal experience and data-based research show us that poverty is complex - it is not just about managing finances. Rather, poverty is a lack of resources. Resources that can be mental, physical, emotional, social, cultural, or spiritual. They include things like trust, motivation, persistence, relationships, perspective, and resiliency. Access to these resources leads to walking away from poverty.