Helpline Volunteer @ 2-5 Hours/week
NAMI LONG BEACH AREA
Role Description: HelpLine Volunteers respond to phone calls and messages received by the NAMI LBA Helpline.
Callers leave messages requesting information on mental health and related resources. Volunteers respond via email or callback providing information on NAMI LBA resources and referrals to other community organizations. Volunteers may also forward messages to NAMI LBA staff for further action.
- One orientation session on NAMI LBA and one training session specific to the Helpline is required.
- To volunteer on the HelpLine, volunteers must have basic computer skills, strong phone etiquette and communication skills, and the ability to problem solve and work independently.
- Experience with mental illness personally, as a caregiver, or as a professional is helpful but not required.
- Sitting for extended periods required.
Volunteer Commitment: Volunteers are scheduled on an as-needed, as-available basis.
6 months-1 year commitment, 2-5 hours per week.
About NAMI LONG BEACH AREA
5230 Clark Ave, Ste 2, Lakewood, CA 90712, US
NAMI Long Beach Area is part of the country's largest grassroots organization active in the mental health sector, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. We support people with mental illness, their families, caregivers and friends by offering education classes, support groups, awareness workshops and community trainings. We aim to educate individuals and raise awareness in the broader community about mental illness and mental health conditions, to overcome stigma often associated with mental illness, and advocate for more appropriate resources and policies to support mental health conditions. NAMI Long Beach Area partners with community-based organizations such as schools, health organizations, business, law enforcement, legal advocacy, and youth organizations.
NAMI Long Beach Area is dedicated to improving the lives of individuals affected by mental illness, and their families, by providing mental health education, support and advocacy. We want you to know that You Are Not Alone.
NAMI Long Beach Area is the Long Beach, California affiliate of NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to educating, advocating, supporting, and building better lives for the millions of individuals and families affected by mental illness.
- We serve the city of Long Beach and a wide area beyond, including many neighboring cities and communities.
- No matter where you live, you are welcome to attend our classes and support groups (currently online) if our location and services.
- We invite you to contact us for more information and find out how we can support you.