NAMI Basics Teacher
NAMI LONG BEACH AREA
Role Description: NAMI Basics is a free, 6-week education program developed specifically for parents and other caregivers of children and adolescents who have either been diagnosed with a serious mental illness/serious emotional disturbance or who are experiencing symptoms but have not yet been diagnosed. The in-person course is taught by a trained team with lived experience raising a child with a mental health condition. The volunteer teachers provide information about the impact of mental illness on the family, treatment, support, coping, and navigating children's services systems.
- Personal experience, past or present, as a parent or caregiver of a child with mental illness before the age of 13.
- Willingness to share one’s own lived experience with course participants.
- Strong commitment to supporting families dealing with mental illness.
- Past graduates of a NAMI Basics course are preferred.
- Complete 3-day NAMI training course and subsequent refresher requirements.
- Current member of NAMI, or willingness to join.
- Responsible, strong organizational skills and people skills.
- Desire to teach and a commitment to adhering to the NAMI Basics course curriculum
- Ability to read, comprehend, and present technical material.
- Experience in teaching or public speaking is helpful but not required; however, volunteers must be comfortable speaking in front of groups.
- Volunteers are encouraged to teach the course at least twice in the 2 years following completion of training.
- The course meets for 2.5 hours for 6 consecutive weeks.
- Work collaboratively with co-teacher to teach the class, including planning, setup/cleanup, and bringing materials.
- Maintain confidentiality of course participants.
- Work with the Director of Signature Programs to assist with planning and outreach, coordinate classes, and complete all paperwork requirements (data collection and class attendance).
- Fulfill teacher refresher requirements.
- Encourage class participants to join NAMI and become advocates.
About NAMI LONG BEACH AREA
5230 Clark Ave, Ste 2, Lakewood, CA 90712, US
NAMI Long Beach Area is part of the country's largest grassroots organization active in the mental health sector, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. We support people with mental illness, their families, caregivers and friends by offering education classes, support groups, awareness workshops and community trainings. We aim to educate individuals and raise awareness in the broader community about mental illness and mental health conditions, to overcome stigma often associated with mental illness, and advocate for more appropriate resources and policies to support mental health conditions. NAMI Long Beach Area partners with community-based organizations such as schools, health organizations, business, law enforcement, legal advocacy, and youth organizations.
NAMI Long Beach Area is dedicated to improving the lives of individuals affected by mental illness, and their families, by providing mental health education, support and advocacy. We want you to know that You Are Not Alone.
NAMI Long Beach Area is the Long Beach, California affiliate of NAMI, the National Alliance on Mental Illness. NAMI is the nation’s largest grassroots mental health organization dedicated to educating, advocating, supporting, and building better lives for the millions of individuals and families affected by mental illness.
- We serve the city of Long Beach and a wide area beyond, including many neighboring cities and communities.
- No matter where you live, you are welcome to attend our classes and support groups (currently online) if our location and services.
- We invite you to contact us for more information and find out how we can support you.