Board Member - At Large (Priority Skills: Fundraising and/or Marketing)
Awaken Pittsburgh, a non-profit 501(c)(3) formed in 2016, is seeking a Board member as part of its goal to diversify its Board. Awaken Pittsburgh is growing, energetic secular organization that draws upon the wisdom of mindfulness and meditation to serve a broad public. Its evidence-based curricula and programming serve students, educators, those in recovery, social services and mental health professionals, corporations, and any other individual or organization seeking to gain clarity, focus, renewal, and improved productivity.
Working closely with Awaken Pittsburgh’s Executive Director and Board, the new Board Member will focus on future growth and help guide the institution’s mission, vision, and long-term sustainability. See our web site at www.awakenpittsburgh.org for more.
- PRIORITY SKILLS: Marketing and/or Fundraising
- Ideally, equipped with previous business and/or non-profit management skills
- Familiar with mindfulness practices, the current science of mindfulness and/or a practitioner of meditation
- Able to foster and maintain strong relationships with stakeholders, including community partners,
- Executive Director and Board members
- Able to think and act strategically with an eye on the "big picture" of a dynamic, future-focused non-profit organization
- Comfortable being a public face of Awaken Pittsburgh i.e. at community events and in media interviews if necessary, alongside the Executive Director
- Ideally, experienced in fundraising and able to successfully solicit and steward donors
- Collaborative by nature, placing focus on shared objectives and goals
- Embraces cultural, gender and racial diversity
- Displays integrity, accessibility and accountability in all actions
- Passionate about the impact of evidence-based mindfulness practices, especially in education, high-stress professions and underserved populations
In accordance with Awaken Pittsburgh’s Bylaws, the Board Members shall:
- Be familiar with the organization’s programs, policies, and operations
- Attend quarterly board meetings and monthly committee meetings (approximately 2 hours each)
- Attend and actively participate in the annual meeting (approx. 3 hours in December)
- Actively serve on at least one committee and take on special assignments
- Review agenda and supporting documents prior to meetings
- Participate in fund raising activities and/or special events
- Meet with potential donors/funders to make a case for funding the organization, answer questions, etc. (approx. 4 hours annually)
- Keep current with your own personal mindfulness or contemplative practice and related issues and developments in program areas
- Strictly adhere to conflict of interest policies
- Strictly adhere to confidentiality policies
Interested individuals should complete the Application Form below and submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org:
About AWAKEN PITTSBURGH
733 N Highland Ave, PITTSBURGH, PA 15206, US
Awaken Pittsburgh promotes personal and community well-being through mindfulness programs and compassionate actions.
Awaken Pittsburgh develops and supports mindfulness programming. Based on a fee-for-service, social enterprise model, Awaken is committed to serving individuals and organizations regardless of income and background so that everyone can have the opportunity to experience the transformative power of a mindfulness-based approach to living.