15 people are interested
15 people are interested
Wondermore nurtures curiosity, enriches curriculum, and inspires a love of good books by
connecting Boston-area students to creators of children’s literature who reflect our diverse and vibrant
For more information, please visit Wondermore’s website at http://www.wondermoreboston.org/
The Board will support the work of Wondermore and provide mission-based leadership and strategic governance. While day-to-day operations are led by Wondermore’s Executive Director (ED), the Board-ED relationship is a partnership, and the appropriate involvement of the Board is both critical and expected.
Specific Board member responsibilities include:
Leadership, governance, and oversight
- Assist the ED with the development and implementation of Wondermore’s strategic plan
- Ensure compliance with proper financial systems and controls; evaluate Wondemore’s financial health; participate in the annual budget development process.
- Review outcomes and metrics created by Wondermore for evaluating its impact and regularly measure
its performance and effectiveness using those metrics
- Review board materials prior to board and committee meetings
- Serve on at least one standing committee and/or task force and actively participate in committee work
- Assist the ED and the board chair in identifying and recruiting new board members; promote Wondermore’s commitment to a diverse board that reflects the communities that Wondermore serves
- Partner with the ED and the board chair to ensure that board resolutions are carried out
- Act as ambassador for Wondermore
- Wondermore expects Board members to make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity and reflects that Wondermore as a philanthropic priority
- Board members are expected to actively participate in the Annual Appeal and planned fundraising events.
Board Terms and Attendance
- Board members are expected to attend all board meetings and the annual retreat
- Members serve a three-year term to be eligible for re-appointment for one additional term.
- Board meetings are held monthly during the school year. There may also be an annual retreat or an orientation for new members. Committee meetings are held at the discretion of the committee chairs and may be conducted in person or by phone.
- This is an extraordinary opportunity for an individual who:
- is passionate about Wondermore’s mission
- has a track record of nonprofit board participation and leadership
- has some experience overcoming the challenges of fundraising for a small nonprofit
- can and will attract other well-qualified, high-performing Board Members
- has a commitment to, and understanding of, the people and communities that benefit from Wondermore’s programs
- can serve as Wondermore’s ambassador to the greater Boston or other business communities
- can introduce and connect Wondermore to professionals who have a passion for improving the lives of Wondermore’s beneficiaries. Service on Wondermore’s Board of Directors is without compensation.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About WONDERMORE INC
Wondermore Inc, PO Box 300188, Boston, MA 02130, US
Wondermore nurtures curiosity, enriches curriculum, and inspires a love of good books by connecting Boston-area students to creators of children’s literature who reflect our diverse and vibrant communities.
Wondermore is a small literacy-based philanthropy that envisions a world in which all children have the opportunity to see themselves in the books they read and are inspired to become lifelong learners. Wondermore brings children's book authors and illustrators into K-8 classrooms for interactive discussions, presentations and writing workshops. We work together with Boston Public School teachers to further nurture children's love of reading, curiosity and academic achievement.
PO Box 300188Boston, MA 02130
October 15, 2021
- General Education
- Literacy / Reading
- Library Sciences
- Critical Thinking
- Orientation or Training
- Board Member Time Commitment Standard Time Commitment: 3-5 Hours per month with additional time required for leadership roles and during events.