Prairie Badlands -Area Director
Special Olympics in the Glendive Area is searching for an Area Director!
Do you enjoy planning? Managing events? Working closely with others? Then this position could be for you!
PRIMARY PURPOSE: The Area Director leads the Area Management Team to ensure that quality Special Olympics sports training programs and athletic competition events are available to all eligible individuals in a specific geographic location. The Area Director oversees the general operations of the Area Management Team by providing management, leadership and support to all members, volunteers, partners or teammates and athletes in a designated area. This position is the primary contact for the Area and the primary liaison between the Area Management Team and the state office of Special Olympics Montana.
- General: Ensures the effective action of the Area Management Team (AMT) in governing and supporting the Area, and oversees all AMT affairs; Acts as the representative of the Area and Area Management Team as a whole, rather than an individual supervisor to other volunteers.
- Community: Speaks to the media and community on behalf of the organization; represents theArea in the community.
- Area Planning and Oversight: With the help of AMT members and SOMT staff, constructs the Area’s Annual Plan and provides quarterly updates on progress of assigned tasks; With Assistant AD,develops and distributes the Annual Calendar;With Finance Coordinator, reviews all Area and Team Funds requests prior to approval.
- Volunteer Management:Identifies volunteer needs and works with AMT and SOMT Outreach Coordinator to recruit and train new AMT volunteers.
- Meetings: Schedules monthly meeting times and locations; Develops meeting agendas in concert with Assistant Area Director and SOMT Outreach Coordinator; Presides at AMT meetings.
- Committees: Recommends to the AMT which committees are to be established annually and works with AMT members to recruit volunteers to each committee. Serves on the AMT’s Administrative Committee.
- Special Olympics Montana Connection: Participates in monthly Area Director calls with SOMT staff; Completes annual evaluation with SOMT Outreach Director/Coordinator; Serves a 3-5 year term.
EXPERIENCE/KNOWLEDGE: Prior experience with a nonprofit organization or sports organization preferred. Ability to supervise and effectively delegate to other volunteers. The ability to communicate openly and in a timely manner. Must complete Class A volunteer application and screening process through Special Olympics Montana.
TRAINING PROVIDED: New coordinator orientation and position-specific training provided by Special Olympics Montana staff. Ongoing training provided annually.
COMPENSATION: Smiles, hugs, and lifelong friendship! This is a volunteer, non-paid position. Allowable expense reimbursements are available.
BENEFITS: Be part of something great and help individuals with intellectual disabilities train for life through sports. Make friends, open hearts, change lives and be part of the Special Olympics movement.
Find out what volunteer opportunities interest you. If you would like more general volunteer information please contact Nancy Undercofler, Outreach Director, by email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 406- 564-0522. Check out www.somt.org for further information too.
About Special Olympics Montana
710 1st Ave N, Great Falls, MT 59401, US
The mission of Special Olympics is to provide year round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of Olympic type sports for children and adults with intellectual disabilities giving them continuing opportunities to develop physical fitness, demonstrate courage, experience joy and participate in a sharing of gifts, skills and friendship with their families, other Special Olympics athletes, and the community.
Special Olympics Montana is a nonprofit organization designed to provide year-round, statewide programs of physical fitness, sports training and athletic competition for children and adults with intellectual disabilities and closely related developmental disabilities.
Learn more at www.somt.org.
Prairie Badlands Special OlympicsGlendive, MT 59330
November 9, 2021
- Sports Coaching
- Event Design & Planning
- Verbal / Written Communication
- Special Needs
- People 55+
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- It is flexible.
- Class A Volunteers are required to get a background check.