19 people are interested
Coach Girls Softball with a Fantastic Little League Program!
19 people are interested
Downtown Little League's fastpitch softball program is looking for volunteer coaches to work with girls between the ages of 5-18 during our Spring, Fall, and Winter seasons.
In addition to outstanding parent volunteers, our Little League has had a lot of success with non-parent volunteers, including several who currently serve on our league's Board of Directors. Consequently, we're always looking for volunteer softball coaches, particularly those with experience playing or coaching sports at the high school and college level or who can teach pitching.
Currently, we have an emphasis and focus on finding more female softball coaches who can serve as role models for the girls in our program. We firmly believe that this plays a critical role in impacting the perceptions and future aspirations of our girls and how they see and understand leadership in the world. "If I can see her, I can be her." Over the long term, we aspire to achieve at least a 50-50 gender split of coaches. Some of the material that serves as our inspiration is below:
- Sports Coaching Is Still A Male Dominated Field by The Atlantic, Jul 27, 2017 - https://www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/535167/
- Where Are the Women by NCAA Champion Magazine - http://www.ncaa.org/static/champion/where-are-the-women/
- Why More Women Coaches Are Needed by WeCoach - https://wecoachsports.org/
- Declining Rates of Female Youth Coaches by Aspen Institute 2018 - https://www.aspeninstitute.org/blog-posts/10-charts-that-show-progress-challenges-to-fix-youth-sports/
- Game On: Women Can Coach by PBS Twin Cities - https://www.tpt.org/gameon/video/game-on-women-can-coach-uemfpy/
- Women Dominate This Sport. Why Is Coaching a Boy Club? by NY Times, Dec 23, 2019 - https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/20/sports/volleyball-ncaa-women.html
- Where Are All The Women Coaches? by NY Times Opinion, Dec 31, 2019 - https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=476186243260546
Times vary by season and age but commitment is about 1 to 3 hours a week. We're flexible and more than happy to work with you to find the right role in our program depending on your schedule and availability.
Our league has a full COVID safety plan in place for the season including the removal of spectators from fields and comprehensive screening and cleaning procedures.
If you're interested in becoming a volunteer coach or discussing how you can help, please contact us directly via the methods below with a little bit of information about yourself and we will get back to you. (Note - if you are interested in coaching baseball, we can connect you with our sibling baseball program). Thanks!
felix.zhang21 at gmail.com
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Downtown Little League
Battery Park Ballfields, New York, NY 10282, US
Through proper guidance and exemplary leadership, the Downtown Little League program in NYC assists children in developing the qualities of citizenship, discipline, teamwork and physical well-being. By espousing the virtues of character, courage and loyalty, the Little League Baseball and Softball program is designed to develop superior citizens rather than superior athletes. Character. Courage. Loyalty.
Downtown Little League is powered by the passion and commitment of volunteers seeking to provide organized baseball and softball activities for children ranging in ages from 5-18 in Lower Manhattan. What began on a grass lot in Battery Park back in 1992 has evolved into one of the nicest facilities in the City, supporting more than 1000 children every year. Given its current size, Downtown Little League is among the largest single Little League chapters in the United States.
Downtown Little League's fast pitch softball program is one of the premier softball programs in New York City and the State of New York. Following official Little League softball rules and guidelines to ensure fast moving, fun and exciting games, we are proud of developing great girls who can not only compete athletically but are great people and community minded citizens as well.
Battery Park BallfieldsNew York, NY 10282
November 9, 2021
- Child Development
- Background Check
- Must be at least 21
- Orientation or Training
- Flexible, typically 1 to 3 hours a week
- Have an energetic and positive attitude with good energy & communication skills.