Purpose Red Cross Media Relations volunteers are part of a professional volunteer team that develops and delivers the Red Cross story behind-the-scenes, on-camera, in-person and online through media channels, websites, social media feeds and other content platforms.
* Be on call during shifts to vet and assess media inquires, share information on smaller incidents, and notify leadership of need to scale up response. * Serve as media spokesperson for local news outlets in person, over the phone or through Skype interviews. * Work with chapter and regional leadership to write and pitch local stories to local media. * Showcase Red Cross services and programs through earned media outreach at events, training, interviews, etc. * Write and distribute media advisories and press releases. * Maintain list of subject matter experts to speak with media. * Maintain media log of queries, interviews and news stories. * Create and maintain media lists. Protect the reputation of the Red Cross by identifying and assessing potential for harm to Red Cross brand, misinformation or information gaps. Work with communications management to develop a strategic approach
Time Commitment Flexible. Weekly/monthly time commitment depends on needs of the regional communications department.
* Media relations education and/or experience
* Background in Red Cross response (training provided), branding & messaging
* Submission of a portfolio of news releases, video clips of on-camera work or equivalent work samples
Communications, marketing and development staff, Red Cross volunteers, and community partners.
Length of Appointment
12 months with a renewable opportunity
* Obtain Red Cross training and networking opportunities
* Hands-on experience with a professional non-profit organization and staff
* Opportunity to see work viewed by the public, promotional campaigns, and disaster communications
* Orientation to the American Red Cross
* Public Affairs Essentials (Online)
* Introduction to Red Cross Communications
* Fundamentals of Disaster Public Affairs, National Response (Webinar) (Recommended)
* Social Media Basics (Recommended)
To Apply for this position please go to: https://www.redcross.org/volunteer
If you have questions, please contact Volunteer Services at MNDAKVolunteer@redcross.org or call 612-871-7676 ext 5. Or Angie Roske at firstname.lastname@example.org
1201 West River Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55454, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's providing care and comfort to one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, an ill or injured service member or veteran, or support to a military family, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Advocacy & Human Rights
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
March 4, 2021
Marketing & Communications (Mar/Com)
Brand Development & Messaging
Must be at least 18
Flexible. Weekly/monthly time commitment depends on needs of the regional communications department.