Events & Membership Internship
BREATHE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
Breathe Southern California (Breathe SoCal) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization focused on achieving clean air and healthy lungs through research, education, advocacy and technology. The organization runs an array of breathing and health-related educational and outreach programs to increase public awareness about lung-related diseases, including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema and works towards eradicating these diseases.Intern Duties & Responsibilities:
The Events and Membership Intern at BREATHE SOCAL is a great opportunity for interns to enhance their skills in nonprofit event planning and membership coordination. An internship with BREATHE SOCAL provides:
- Engaging opportunities for you to apply your critical thinking skills and education in a professional work environment
- Explore career and leadership opportunities in the nonprofit sector
- Interact and collaborate with diverse staff and experience nonprofit giving and philanthropy
This position will work closely with the Events & Membership Coordinator under the direction of the Director of Development & Communications in planning annual programs, tracking and organizing program folders and assisting with membership coordination. The intern can expect to develop confidence and marketable skills by engaging in or assisting with many of the following activities:
- Develop and plan strategically for annual Trudeau Society programming calendar
- Engage physicians and allied health professionals at local, regional and national universities and hospitals to participate in Trudeau Society events and become members of Trudeau Society.
- Engage physicians and allied health professionals in private practice and/or affiliated with health plans or health maintenance organizations, to participate in Trudeau Society events and become members of Trudeau Society.
- Speaker recruitment for lectures and conferences
- Grow our meetup groups YPSS & YPPH, and recruit and staff a steering committee of engaged young professionals to oversee its programs and fundraising events.
- Create, develop and grow the public health network, and ultimately, and recruit and staff a steering committee of engaged public health professionals to oversee its programs and fundraising events.
- Manage the logistics of all events, including vendor relationships, volunteer recruitment and management, Board member engagement, and event publicity and communications.
- Actively engage with community to prospect new donor opportunities.
- Identifies and secures resources necessary to implement event calendar
- Ability to make sound recommendations on potential funding opportunities
- Building membership of each network by increasing number and amount of membership donations
- Demonstrate a well-informed understanding of the programs and services Breathe SoCal provides to the community
- Track, manage and measure assigned projects
- Prepare periodic reports to organizational leadership and the Board of Directors
- Work with Development team to ensure acknowledgements on a timely basis.
- Support, participate in, and assist overall Breathe SoCal development efforts.
- Provide other Development Department assistance as identified.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must have a bachelor’s degree and/or related experience in event implementation and planning
- Effective and concise writing skills, as well as effective/ persuasive oral communications skills
- Qualified candidates should possess strong writing skills, attention to detail, and have a keen interest in public health and/or environmental sustainability
- Ability to multitask, perform in a team environment, and a demonstrated willingness to learn
- Ability to work independently
- Computer Proficiency - Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Professional appearance and positive attitude with good phone skills
- Positive, self-starter with the ability to manage diverse relationships and interact with diverse people at all levels of an organization
- Team player with powerful leadership skills
- Upbeat and enthusiastic with a high level of energy and initiative
Qualified candidates must be enthusiastic, reliable, and interested in public health and/or environmental sustainability initiatives. Possess an agility with numbers and analyzing data CRM experience a plus (Donor Perfect, SalesForce, Blackbaud). Local travel may be required.
This placement description reflects management's assignment of essential functions. It does not prescribe nor restrict responsibilities that may be assigned. Apply to firstname.lastname@example.org with cover letter, writing sample, and resume.
About BREATHE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
5858 WILSHIRE BLVD STE 300, LOS ANGELES, CA 90036, US
Breathe Southern California (Breathe SoCal) is dedicated to promoting clean air and healthy lungs through research, education, advocacy and technology. Our vision is to protect the breath of life by eliminating the causes of lung disease in our communities. We provide communities in Southern California the resources needed to promote clean air initiatives. Breathe SoCal works with local communities, elected leaders, business leaders and the health education community to increase awareness of the causes and treatments for lung-related diseases and breathing-related conditions.
Breathe SoCal's programs educate and promote healthy lungs and better breathing. On a multi-cultural, multi-disciplined basis, we are working to help improve the lives of those with lung disease and breathing-related conditions. We are working with organizations to combat asthma and are partners in the battle for smoke-free environments and for overall cleaner air. We do this through specific programs and initiatives tailored to individual communities as well as various ages and cultural backgrounds.
First formed in 1903 as the Los Angeles Society for the Study and Prevention of Tuberculosis, the organization served the city's growing population of more than 300,000. For more than 100 years, the organization committed itself to increasing public awareness about the tuberculosis epidemic and other lung-related diseases-- including asthma, bronchitis and emphysema-- and working towards eradication.