Benefits Screening and Support Services assistant
Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio (CLUES)
Purpose of Position:
The Benefits Screening and Support Services assistant will provide income support, social support, and basic coaching to participants enrolled in CLUES’ Employment Program, including but not limited to: Dislocated Worker Program and Minneapolis Employment and Training program. This volunteer position will help to enhance client access to financial, and employment services; empower participants to strive for family self-sufficiency and economic advancement; coach participants to help remove barriers and increase access to services during their participation period.
This volunteer position is a part of CLUES’ Economic Empowerment Department which offers programs that directly strengthen our community with a holistic approach to family wellbeing. With increased knowledge, skills, and resources, families enjoy improved parenting, financial stability, healthier home environments, and academically and socially successful children who pursue educational goals, careers, and economic independence to build stronger communities.
Position Type: Unpaid volunteer service
- Weekdays during CLUES business hours. Schedule to be decided upon between volunteer and CLUES staff.
- Minimum time commitment: 4 hours per week
Under the supervision of CLUES staff, the Benefits Screening and Support Services Assistant volunteer will:
- Work with participants one-on-one to identify and acknowledge barriers to self-sufficiency and financial stability.
- Provide participants with step-by-step guidance to access income supports and public benefits.
- Assist program recipients in accessing public benefit programs, such as the Unemployment application process, and others.
- Provide participants personalized assistance to maximize their viability for employment. Basic efforts such as: resume creation / employment application submissions / ongoing review of benefit eligibility status
- Maintain a general case log, which includes case notes, efforts completed, and outcomes to share with DW Lead Employment Coach on an ongoing basis.
- Maintain on-going contact with current clients that require follow up efforts.
- Maintain client confidentiality in accordance with HIPAA, agency policies and other applicable laws, regulations and ethical standards.
- Promote the mission, operating values, and agency services of CLUES within the community.
- Maintain open communication with supervisors and solicit feedback when necessary.
- Create an atmosphere of trust and accountability with clients and co-workers.
- Collaborate with CLUES staff to address client barriers and provide seamless, integrated services across department lines as appropriate.
- Provide services in multiple locations as assigned.
- Carry out all other duties as assigned by supervisor.
CLUES reserves the right to terminate an internship or volunteer commitment if behavior is not in compliance with CLUES policies.
- Bilingual in Spanish and English with cultural awareness and sensitivity required.
- Familiarity with Minnesota’s Employment Programs preferred.
- Knowledgeable of and experienced in accessing community resources that can serve client needs required.
- Must be innovative enough to create various levels of objectives and expectations for participants to meet with a desire to see outcome driven processes result in family stability.
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills and customer service skills required.
- Must be organized, have attention to detail, and be able to multi-task and work under pressure and stress in a fast-paced environment.
- Must possess a positive attitude, flexibility, and ability to work in a coaching environment.
- Must have critical thinking, proactive problem solving, and analytical skills.
- Must be a respectful and considerate of others.
- Must possess a bias toward learning, listening, helping, coaching, clarifying and creating a tone of mutual trust, understanding and support.
- Given the client-oriented nature of the work, must see the importance of employment/education related services as a vital contribution to the work of the agency. Must maintain appropriate boundaries about work content.
Requirements & Training:
- Must pass a criminal background check, FBI fingerprint check per NSCHC standards, and driving record check. As a condition of continued employment, staff person may be required to submit to periodic re-verification of these background checks
As a condition of continued service, volunteer may be required to submit to periodic re-verification of these background checks.
About Comunidades Latinas Unidas en Servicio (CLUES)
797 E. 7th Street, Saint Paul, MN 55106, US
Our Mission: To advance the capacity of Latino families to be healthy, prosperous, and engaged in their communities. Our Vision: A thriving multicultural community enriched with confident and strong Latino families who contribute their voice, skills, entrepreneurial spirit, and cultural richness.
CLUES is Minnesota’s largest Latino-led nonprofit organization, founded in 1981. Today it serves over 10,000 Latinos, immigrants, and neighborhood-based clients throughout the Twin Cities area. With offices in Minneapolis and Saint Paul, its current mission is to "Improve the quality of life of Latinos in Minnesota". CLUES’ family-centric model of delivery focuses on empowering clients to live healthy lives and become economically self-sufficient. We realize our mission by eliminating barriers and providing access to resources and opportunities for clients through education, skill-building, training, and delivering behavioral health programs that lead to self-sufficiency and prosperity.