The Unique Union seeks Volunteer Youth Instructors to help facilitate art activities in a virtual group setting. The groups would be no more than 2 to 25 individuals at a time, with participants aged 9 to 15 years of age. These volunteers would have a strong interest in applied arts, visual arts, music, holistic wellness, or crafts and have experience facilitating group art activities for groups of this size, especially involving children.
All volunteers will attend a Pre-Instruction Orientation that will give you the training you need to assist youth attendees with craft creations during the Program and a full overview of our Program agenda. Volunteers will have the opportunity to craft the items during training to ensure a proper experience for all attendees. We invite creatives from June 14th to August 6th, 2021 to indulge in Young #SelfCare in the Summer, as we host our flexible 8-week selection of hands-on art activities that offer a sense of calm in a community setting through different interactive craft activities. We will be hosting these activities via Canvas and Zoom. Visit UniqueUnion.org/youth-summer-camp to learn more!
Below you can view the selection criteria for the open positions:
- Volunteers have in-person experience teaching children & are willing to transition these skills to teaching virtually to children (and possibly adults).
- Volunteers are engaging, fun, energetic, and able to create meaningful connections virtually over the summer with students in various settings, allowing for a positive learning environment where children’s creativity can thrive.
- Volunteers must have a teaching background & expertise in one or more of the following areas:
Other - Do you have an artistic passion that could transition to a Virtual Classroom?
- Volunteers can be a student of childhood education, getting a teaching credential, are a certified teacher or have a degree in or are studying the Arts. This will allow our program to provide instruction by which students develop aesthetic concepts and appreciation.
- Volunteers will have the ability to make qualitative judgments about art.
- Volunteers have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and a passion for sharing their artistic knowledge. Volunteers are comfortable speaking in front of groups in an entertaining and engaging way.
- Volunteers will ultimately have a passion for Art and a basic understanding of everyday Wellness (mental and emotional).
- Volunteers are subject to a background check and 1 (one) professional reference in the Art, Psychology, or Childhood Education areas.
- Volunteers must be available for instruction during the entire program duration.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Unique Union, Inc.
P.O. Box 63906, WASHINGTON, DC 20029, US
Unique Union, Inc. is a local gathering place at the intersection of urban culture, applied art, mental wellness and creative community in Ward 7 Southeast Washington, DC. Our mission is to provide meaningful, therapeutic arts programming for creatives of all ages, to educate the local community in fine arts, urban culture and mental wellness, to provide certified group art therapy to adults and youth suffering from mental illness, and to build strength in the local community.
The Unique Union, Inc. is a not-for-profit organization formed to provide a place where creatives of all abilities are encouraged to develop their full expressive potential through art. We offer a dynamic, unique, and constantly evolving program with our #SelfCareSunday Craft Workshops. Although we try to incorporate all of the fine arts into our programs, our focus is on visual and applied art. We have transformed our program to accommodate social distancing with our #SelfcareSunday Virtual Craft Workshops and Virtual Adult Mental Health First Aid Certification through the National Council of Behavioral Health (in blended format).
We plan to have the option to participate in certified group art therapy workshops. All activities are guided and enjoyed on an RSVP or walk-in basis. We are staffed by working creatives, and all structured activities will be led by master artist-teachers &/or certified art therapists. Unique Union, Inc. offers an art experience to the community that will increase awareness of the arts, create an audience for the arts, promote mental wellness for all and cannot be duplicated.
Arts & Culture
Education & Literacy
We'll work with your schedule.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
April 15, 2021
Teaching / Instruction
Must be at least 21
Orientation or Training
We are looking for five (5) engaged individuals that have five (5) hours a week for the full program duration and be available for orientation and meetings prior to the program start date.
You will need a laptop with decent Wi-Fi and Zoom capability. We will provide various art supplies for you to teach with, but having your own supplies is helpful!