Outdoor and Greenhouse Volunteers at Melwood - Charles County
MELWOOD FOLLOWS ALL FEDERAL, STATE, AND LOCAL COVID GUIDELINES - Masks must be worn at all times and a six-foot social distancing must be maintained when possible.
COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT NEEDED
Are you a veteran looking to engage more in your community? Do you like working outside and getting your hands dirty? If so, please consider volunteering with Melwood.
It’s time to begin our spring and summer planting of veggies, herbs, perennials, and annuals and we need your help.
- starting seeds for indoor grow lights germination at our Melwood Recreation Center greenhouse
- transplanting seedlings for greenhouse growing
- plant care and crop monitoring during non-traditional hours--evenings (after daylight savings changes) and on the weekends- water and pest monitoring
- monitoring greenhouse equipment for failures (heat off, fans not working, weather damage, etc.)
- Replenishing all plant beds inside our Learning Garden with compost and rototill
- Installing black plastic for weed control
- Refurbishing Learning Garden walkways
- Divide and pot perennials for garden health and establish a native plant nursery
- Plant flowers, herbs, and vegetables
- Construct Mural artwork
- Signage creation
Please apply here: https://melwood.org/volunteer-opportunities/
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
5606 Dower House Road, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772, US
Melwood’s mission is to advocate for and empower individuals with disabilities to transform their own lives through unique opportunities to work and play in the community.
At Melwood, we start by believing anything is possible when people with disabilities and injured veterans can pursue their potential. For over 55 years Melwood has helped the people we serve create their own path to success through direct employment, job training, recreational services, and retention support.
Melwood has been a leading voice for social change and we are now one of the largest employers of people with disabilities in the country. Melwood offers job readiness, training, placement and retention support so that we can better integrate the unique talents and contributions of people with disabilities and injured veterans into their communities. We provide our government and private employers with a high-performing and reliable workforce solution. In doing so, we hope to inspire our current and future partners to take bold steps to create an inclusive and competitively integrated workforce.