Virtual Tutor & Mentor
Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay, Inc.
Location: From home/remote; must reside in Hillsborough or Pinellas County
Purpose of the Position: Provide academic and social/emotional support to underserved children in grades K-3 who live and attend schools in low socioeconomic communities.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Tutor and assist children through video calls, individually or in small groups, to help them develop their literacy, social and emotional skills.
- Reinforce learning concepts in cooperation with teaching staff and/or child’s guardian(s).
- Provide extra assistance to students with special needs, such as non-English-speaking students or those with physical, emotional, and mental disabilities/challenges.
- Serve as a positive role model, motivator, and friend.
- Build respect, self-esteem, and confidence.
- Be at least 55 years old
- Be able to communicate through email and video-calling platform, such as Zoom
- Ability to read and write the English language
- Interest and comfort in mentoring children ages 5-13 years old
- Be dependable and consistent in meeting scheduled tutoring sessions
- Be willing to adhere to all program policies, including a level II background check
- Be a good listener, encouraging and supportive
- Be patient, flexible, and respectful of individual differences
: Your volunteer experience starts with a Zoom meeting with one of our knowledgeable program coordinators to go through tutoring guidelines and how you will connect with your students. Volunteers then attend monthly 2-hour trainings, presented virtually. This training includes learning best practices in providing social, emotional and academic support to children and helping children through challenges.
About Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay, Inc.
1306 West Sligh Ave., Tampa, FL 33604, US
Seniors in Service of Tampa Bay provides solutions to community challenges by engaging volunteers aged 55+
Programs Offered Through Seniors in Service:
Foster Grandparent Program (FGP)
- The Foster Grandparent Program recruits senior volunteers (55+) to go into schools and after-school programs to mentor at-risk and special needs children and provide them with one-on-one, individualized attention
Senior Companion Program (SCP)
- The Senior Companion Program recruits senior volunteers (55+) to go into the homes of homebound, elderly clients and provide them with companionship and assistance.
Retired Senior Volunteer Program (RSVP)
- The RSVP Program recruits senior volunteers(55+) to participate more fully in the life of the community through volunteer service. The program matches the considerable wealth of knowledge, skills, and experience of this vital and rapidly growing age group with the addressing of critical needs and unresolved issues in our community.
Operation Veteran Connect
- Provides companionship to veterans, enabling them to live independently. Supports the VA in supporting providing Whole Health support to veterans.
Seniors in Service values diversity. Individuals of all races, ethnicities, ages, gender and/or those with disabilities are encouraged to engage with our organization.