NOT BY MY OWN COMMUNITY INC
We are looking for industry experts who want to give back to their community in an executive capacity by volunteering to be among the first Board Members of Not By My Own Community Inc (NBMOC). You should be motivated and willing to commit 5+ hours per week for at least three years to this new non-profit.
By joining our select group of diverse, skilled, and committed board members you will help us continue to lay the foundation of NBMOC and work to champion social and environmental justice, through our mission by bridging resources with innovation to engineer solutions that target the meaningful involvement of people for the common good.
The Board Secretary is a Board Member without voting rights and supports Board of Directors. The Board Secretary will also participate in NBMOC's Initiative of 100% Board Giving and other Board Member fundraising expectations and strategic planning initiatives. NBMOC Board members are champions of NBMOC.
Essential Functions of the Volunteer Position
The secretary of the organization is an active conduit for communication between the board, management, and members, by giving proper notice of any meetings and timely distribution of materials such as agendas and meeting minutes.
Be knowledgeable of the organization’s records and related materials, and should be able to provide advice and resources to the board on relevant topics at issue, such as particular governance matters being addressed at a meeting or a new amendment to state corporate law, for example.
Aim to be helpful to the board as they discharge their fiduciary duties.
- Tasked with knowing and complying with notice requirements and scheduling meetings to accommodate the directors.
- Responsible for scheduling board meetings and should ensure an adequate number of meetings are held per year, in accordance with the organization’s bylaws.
- Prepares and sends meeting materials far enough in advance of the meeting for each director to review such materials, correct any errors, and prepare questions and comments.
- Charged with recording minutes of meetings.
- Associates Degree in a related field.
- 2+ years of experience.
- Excellent communication (oral/written) skills and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to collaborate with various stakeholders across the organization.
- Highly organized and self-motivated.
- Ability to effectively multitask.
- Strong proficiency in Office 365 required
A proven background in a similar volunteer or professional role.
Board Member General Responsibilities may include some of the following in addition to specific role:
- The board evaluates itself and the organization, ensures financial and program accountability and transparency, includes ---reviews effectiveness of programs; mandates needs assessment of constituency every few years, sets meeting agendas, creates necessary committees, keeps minutes, and recruits effective members.
- Creates the mission and vision, sets goals and objectives, develops a strategic plan and fashions organizational procedures)
Oversee use of resources
- Ensures sufficient funds are raised (includes marketing and public relations) and spent appropriately.
- Conflicts, insurance, file required papers and act as a trustee/fiduciary; creates and abides by the bylaws.
Evolving Role of the Board Members
- Governance (oversight of operations, including financial accountability)
- Support (fundraising, public relations and providing individual expertise)
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About NOT BY MY OWN COMMUNITY INC
1507 East 53rd Street, Suite 508, Chicago, IL 60615, US
Not By My Own Community, Inc., mission is to help survivors of domestic violence rebuild their lives; by providing a safe place for women to experience a life of wholeness through Jesus Christ.
Here at Not By My Own Community Inc., we know that sometimes all it takes to change the world is a little support. Since our founding in 2018, we have been determined to make an impact. The core of our efforts is to help survivors of domestic violence to rebuild their lives by providing a safe place for women to experience a life of wholeness through Jesus Christ. Through all of our endeavors we hope to display the conviction behind our beliefs.
At Not By My Own Community Inc., we are dedicated to stepping up our efforts in addressing domestic violence prevention and recovery. Advocacy is by no means an easy feat, but through cooperation and community empowerment we believe we have made great progress in these areas.
One way that we have accomplished is by hosting bi annual and/or annual events where women survivors can network and receive helpful resources to help with rebuilding their lives post abuse e.g. mental health, legal, substance abuse resources and more. We are always striving to make a difference, and invite you to learn more and lend your support.