Director of Human Engagement and Experience
This is a volunteer position with a startup Nonprofit; it is unpaid at this time as we seek funding.
It is an opportunity for the right, mission-driven candidate to showcase their ability to help build and direct the Helpful Talent Pool, Human Engagement, Journey, and Experience for a distributed global volunteer platform with a volunteer list of nearly 19,000 producing impactful innovation for the benefit of everyone and everything on the rock.
I won’t lie; it’s a big job. Only the most intrepid and determined will want to consider this undertaking.
This is a NON-PAID, Volunteer position.
Are you looking to make a positive difference? Are you looking to leverage open-source technologies? Helpful Engineering is bringing volunteers together from across the globe in order to fight COVID & other global-scale challenges. As volunteers, we contribute to this cause because we want everyone to have access to essential items needed to survive this pandemic. We need talented individuals like yourself. No matter your experience, we have a role for you!
The Director of Human Engagement is a senior-level management position that works closely with executive management to provide critical Human Resources, general operations, and organizational development guidance to the rapidly growing organization. The Director reports to the Chief People Officer and will guide the development and administration of HR operations, volunteer coordination, community, and performance management policies that promote a
- Collaborate with executive management to define the organization’s long-term mission and goals and identify ways to support this mission through the full-cycle talent management goals.
- Build and manage a resilient volunteer HR team.
- Manage the volunteer onboarding and offboarding process to ensure effective support through all stages of the employee lifecycle
- Work with the Helpful Recruiting team to develop, manage, and continuously refine a centralized, efficient system for attracting, evaluating, and onboarding Helpful volunteers.
- Identify and implement culture-based initiatives that promote organizational values and foster a strong sense of community across the team.
- Serve as an advisor and resource person for management and staff in the areas of diversity, equity and inclusion, while developing, recommending, and effectuating creative strategies to foster the organization’s diversity and equity goals.
- Provide technical expertise and leadership regarding department activities and participate in the formulation of policies, procedures, and programs; advise on trends or challenges and recommend appropriate courses of action
- Serve as the main point of contact for HR personnel issues and respond in collaboration with Helpful Executive Team, Directors, and Board.
- Deliver presentations to Executive leadership, Department Heads, Staff, the Board of Directors and other constituencies on human resource programs, activities, and operations and make relevant recommendations
- Plans, leads, develops, coordinates, and implements policies, processes, training, initiatives, and surveys to support the organization’s human resource compliance and strategy needs.
- Provide guidance with respect to business ethics and be the voice that reminds the organization to always do the right thing on behalf of its volunteers and projects.
- Develop and support operational and process improvement programs that lead to a more lean and efficient organization and develop company Human Resource policies and procedures that support organization, cost containment, and growth objectives.
- Identify the organization’s Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for HR and talent management functions, develop project plans to achieve goals and monitor the organization’s performance.
- You have superior supervisory and leadership skills with experience working with executive leaders.
- You have excellent interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- You are a proven strategic planner with strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- You have excellent written and oral communications skills, particularly as it relates to communicating internal processes to staff.
- You have a demonstrated knowledge of Human Resources principles and best practices - and knowledge of and experience with various HRIS.
- You have experience working in a non-profit, startup, or campaign environment
- A pragmatic, collaborative, team-oriented leader with highly developed relationship-building skills; adept as an influencer and consensus builder
- An unquestioned reputation for integrity and ethics; a strong character that will quickly gain the trust of others
- Creative, versatile, intuitive, and driven; mission-oriented
- Demonstrated competency across all Human Resources disciplines
- Strong business and financial acumen with the ability to translate these into People initiatives
- A collaborative partner who acts with a sense of urgency
- Analytically driven with experience working with people metrics to guide decisions
- Demonstrated project management and change management skills
- Self-starter, highly motivated, ability to work independently and achievement-oriented.
- Able to maintain a strict code of confidentiality and discretion
About Helpful Engineering
Helpful Engineering, London, London 533425, GB
Helpful Engineering is an international, open source community incubator focused on mobilizing people to help solve the Covid-19 pandemic and other critical issues. With thousands of volunteers worldwide, we support projects through innovations in engineering, community resources, software, and manufacturing.
Helpful Engineering is a 3,400 strong volunteer-run nonprofit incubator organization, with engineers, scientists, and doctors around the world dedicated to helping the world address the COVID-19 pandemic. Relying on the resourcefulness and grit of our members, we work to design innovative ways to fight the virus that causes this disease. We have partnered with medical professionals to know what would help them the most in this crisis, rapidly trying to design and arrange the production of pragmatic devices to move life-saving air, extend existing tools, or organize volunteers on the ground to bolster medical workers. The need is critical. Important but complex rules usually make these products unavailable, if unburdened, we can make them available now.