NHQ:ISD - QDL: Open Source Software Engineer for Field Papers Volunteer
American Red Cross - National Headquarters
This position supports the National Headquarters (NHQ) International Services Development (ISD) team. This is a remote (volunteer-from-home opportunity).
The International Services GIS/Data Team is searching for a software engineer to evaluate and chart a roadmap for Field Papers, an open source tool for quickly making purpose-built paper maps that can be annotated and then easily digitized. Field Papers plays a role in mapping accessibility for people who may have lower levels of digital literacy or when circumstances otherwise favor paper-based tools.
- Become familiar with the Field Papers project - https://github.com/fieldpapers/fieldpapers
- Design the next version of Field Papers taking into account lessons learned from past users - https://bit.ly/future-of-field-papers
- Recommend modern software components and libraries to improve performance, security, and sustainability.
- Assist in determining what should be done to update Field Papers given the current technology ecosystem
- 5 + hours per week
- Familiarity with modern web technologies
- Familiarity with geographic applications and web maps
- Understanding of software design concepts and processes
- Helpful to have experience with OpenStreetMap (OSM)
- Helpful to have experience with open source software projects
About American Red Cross - National Headquarters
431 18th St NW, Washington, DC 20006, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, or providing care and comfort to an ill or injured service member or veteran or support to a military family member, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.