Work one-on-one with an immigrant or refugee learning English
Volunteer Opportunity with Literacy Minnesota
Partner with an adult immigrant or refugee learning English. Meet new people from your community and work with them to build literacy skills and achieve their goals through distance education.
Are you a looking for a way to help in your community? Do you prefer one-on-one interactions over large group settings? Then this might be the perfect opportunity for you! Literacy Minnesota is looking for volunteers interested in partnering with learning centers to provide individualized tutoring to learners.
- No experience or diploma needed - we’ll provide all necessary training
- Must be 18 years old to volunteer
- English speakers of all levels are welcomed and encouraged to volunteer
- Have a computer with access to a webcam and reliable internet service
- 3-month commitment
- Familiarity with Zoom
We strongly encourage volunteers who are people of color, indigenous, immigrants and refugees, LGBTQIA2S+ and people with disabilities.
Role of a1-on-1 Tutor
- 1-2 hours per week; tutoring schedule will be determined based on both the learners’ and the tutor’s availability, most learners are looking for 30 minutes to 1-hour sessions, once or twice a week.
- Work with learners to establish and create focused and attainable learning goals
- Follow lesson plans provided by Literacy MN to facilitate learner growth
- Complete lesson reports after each tutoring session
Support will be provided in the way of Literacy Minnesota training workshops, help with lesson planning, tech support, observations of other volunteers and mentoring from staff
Meetings will be online using the Zoom video call application.
Email email@example.com to apply.
About Literacy Minnesota
700 Raymond Ave, Suite 180, St. Paul, MN 55114, US
Literacy Minnesota is the only statewide, nonprofit, volunteer literacy organization in Minnesota. As a leader and advocate for literacy, Literacy Minnesota provides a variety of cost-effective literacy-based services designed to help achieve the personal, educational and economic goals of Minnesotans.
Founded in 1972, Literacy Minnesota is Minnesota's only non-profit, volunteer-based, education provider that operates statewide. Through a network of over 100 community and school-based programs, we provide free classes for individuals lacking the most basic reading, writing and English-speaking skills. We serve both native-born Americans and refugees and immigrants.