Disaster Action Team: Hughes County
ORGANIZATION: American Red Cross - Minnesota Dakotas Region
Please visit the new page to apply.
- Purpose: Train to become a Disaster Action Team (DAT) Member. Once trained you will respond to local disasters, most often house or apartment fires. DAT Trainees will respond to local disasters providing immediate on-scene response to local and large-scale disasters with an experienced DAT Member.
- Disaster Action Teams provide 24-hour emergency response to local disasters, particularly house fires, ensuring that those affected have access to resources for basic necessities such as food, shelter and clothing.
- Become familiar with the policies, regulations and procedures for local disaster response and service.
- After training is complete: DAT Trainee promptly responds to local disasters when on-call.
- Collaborates with DAT Duty Officer on phone.
- Accurately and thoroughly complete field paperwork during responses.
- Attends regular team meetings and trainings
- Time Commitment:
- Sign-up for 4 on-call shifts per month. Shifts vary but are typically, 6am-Noon, Noon-6pm, 6pm-Midnight and Midnight-6am.
- Fully vaccinated for COVID-19 and submission of vaccine status and supporting documentation in Volunteer Connection.
- Willingness to carry vaccination card to work assignments.
- Demonstrated commitment to mission of the American Red Cross
- Remains current with all required training.
- Able to respond reliably to local disasters when on call.
- Able to follow Red Cross DAT and other related standards and procedures.
- Reliable access to technology (including smartphone and laptop or computer)
- Ability to learn and use Red Cross systems, including RC Care and RC Respond and online interfaces.
- Ability to work in challenging and stressful conditions such as poor air quality, uneven ground, adverse weather, etc.
- Must have a valid driver's license and/or a timely, reliable way to get to the scene.
- Ability to take direction from steady state and operational leadership.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Stand for two-hour periods
- Sit for two-hour periods
- Walk on uneven terrain
- Walk for two miles during a shift
- Work in extreme heat and/or humidity
- Work in extreme cold
- Spend hours writing
- Speak clearly on the phone and in person
- Climb two or more flights of stairs
- Drive in daytime and at night
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Zack Ernst at Zachary.Ernst@redcross.org or call 612-463-6587.
You can also visit:
About American Red Cross - Minnesota Dakotas Region
1201 West River Parkway, Minneapolis, MN 55454, US
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
Every single day, the American Red Cross helps people in emergencies. Whether it's providing care and comfort to one displaced family, thousands of disaster victims, an ill or injured service member or veteran, or support to a military family, our vital work is made possible by people like you. It is through the time and care of ordinary people that we can do extraordinary things.
Multiple locations Pierre, SD 57501
April 29, 2022
- Customer Service
- Disaster Response
- Community Outreach
- Basic Computer Skills
- People Skills
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Flexible, 4 shifts per month