Volunteers with the Provincial Foster Care Program will temporarily provide a safe and nurturing environment while taking care of animals in their homes.
Benefits: The Foster Program benefits animals who have a good chance of adoption, but who are either too young, sick, injured, under socialized or emotionally stressed to thrive in the Animal Centre environment. Instead, animals are cared for and rehabilitated in a nurturing foster home.
- To provide a safe environment for the foster animals ensuring the Five Freedoms are met at all times
- Abide by all Foster program, policies and procedures
- To ensure safe interaction with people and other animals
- Follow the Animal Care Plan as outlined by the Animal Centre
- Provide transportation for the animal as needed
- To ensure any other animals in the home have up-to-date vaccinations.
- To pick up animal care supplies from the Animal Centre
- To communicate with the Foster Coordinator on a weekly basis
- To report any bites or scratches immediately to the Foster Coordinator
- Feed, medicate and monitor health of foster animals
- Groom, exercise and train foster animals
- Minimum of 18 years of age
- Ability to commit to the animal care plan
- Ability to follow directions as outlined by the Foster Care team
- Previous experience caring for animals is an asset
- Access (or ability to provide) transportation
- Ability to provide a safe and appropriately sized space to house foster animals segregated from household pets
- Complete an online Volunteer Application Form
- Complete Volunteer Orientation forms and training
- Complete Foster Care training
- The foster program volunteers will be supervised by the Centre Manager or designate
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About Ontario SPCA
16586 Woodbine Ave, Stouffville, Ontario L4A 2W3, CA
The Ontario SPCA’s mission is to facilitate and provide for province-wide leadership on matters relating to the prevention of cruelty to animals and the promotion of animal welfare.
The Ontario SPCA and Humane Society is privileged to be Ontario’s animal welfare charity since 1873. In our role as a charity, we provide a variety of mission-based programs and resources focused on providing for animal welfare, including community-based sheltering, shelter health & animal wellness, high-volume spay/neuter services, animal rescue and relief, animal advocacy, Indigenous partnership programs, humane education and animal protection services.
Working together we can make a difference in the lives of countless animals in need.