1 person is interested
Programming Committee Chair
1 person is interested
We are looking for industry experts who want to give back to their community in an executive capacity by volunteering to be among the first Board Members of The Social Justice + Engineering Initiative. You should be motivated and willing to commit 5+ hours per week for at least three years to this new non-profit.
By joining our select group of diverse, skilled, and committed board members you will help us continue to lay the foundation of SJEI and work to champion social and environmental justice, through our mission by bridging resources with innovation to engineer solutions that target the meaningful involvement of people for the common good.
For this specific position, we are looking for individuals with past experience working with small and/or large non-profits in the Social Justice, Environmental Justice, or Engineering industries.
As a volunteer Programming Committee Chair you will work directly with the Director of Programming and the Board of Directors to develop, implement, and manage all program activities to ensure our projects are administered in a manner that supports our mission.
The Programming Committee Chair is a Board member without voting rights and supports the Board of Directors and collaborates with other non-voting Board members. The Programming Committee Chair will also participate in SJEI's Initiative of 100% Board Giving and other Board member fundraising expectations and strategic planning initiatives. SJEI Board members are champions of SJEI.
· Three (3) year commitment
· At least five (5) hours per week
- Minimum of a BA, MA preferred
- At least three (3) years of experience with one of those in a team management role
- Experience developing and evaluating program models, and selecting and successfully operationalizing innovative programs
- Experience in using technology as a management reporting tool and experience working with information technology staff to develop and implement program evaluation systems
- Experience in project management skills managing complex, multifaceted projects resulting in measurable successes and program growth
- Experience having worked with a high-performance, collaborative, constructive peer group
- Strength in hiring, recruiting, managing, developing, coaching, and retaining individuals and teams, empowering them to elevate their levels of responsibility, span-of-control and performance
- Understanding of human resources, employee performance improvement plans, and corrective action policies
- Demonstrated results in managing through complex systems and proven experience negotiating win-win agreements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with exceptional attention to details
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and a commitment to and passion for SJEI's mission and goals
Commitment to Ethical Standards - serve as faithful agents of the organization. Avoid deceptive acts. Conduct themselves honorably, responsibly, ethically, and lawfully.
ROLE SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES
Achieving Results - sets clear, well-defined desired outcomes for work activity and tracks progress; demonstrates a strong sense of urgency and persistence about accomplishing them
Communication - demonstrates the ability to convey thoughts, ideas, and concepts clearly in writing and orally
Independence/Initiative - evaluates, selects, and acts on various methods and strategies to meet goals and objectives, even if objectives aren’t clearly defined
Planning - establishes plans that break complex projects into their component parts, each with its own timeline; organizes work into processes.
Board Member General Responsibilities may include some of the following in addition to specific role:
- The board evaluates itself and the organization, ensures financial and program accountability and transparency, includes ---reviews effectiveness of programs; mandates needs assessment of constituency every few years, sets meeting agendas, creates necessary committees, keeps minutes, and recruits effective members.
- Creates the mission and vision, sets goals and objectives, develops a strategic plan and fashions organizational procedures)
Oversee use of resources
- Ensures sufficient funds are raised (includes marketing and public relations) and spent appropriately.
- Conflicts, insurance, file required papers and act as a trustee/fiduciary; creates and abides by the bylaws.
Evolving Role of the Board Members
- Governance (oversight of operations, including financial accountability)
- Support (fundraising, public relations and providing individual expertise)
About The Social Justice + Engineering Initiative
2 North Central Avenue, Suite 1800, Phoenix, AZ 85004, US
Our organization seeks to research, develop, and implement engineering practices, designs, products, and methods that promote social and environmental justice and overall sustainability. Further, we strive to educate, advocate, plan and engineer the future development of our cities, towns, neighborhoods, farms - our planet.
The Social Justice + Engineering Initiative is a conscious engineering, social justice, and environmental justice organization that seeks to implement sustainable engineering practices, designs, and developments that adhere to social and environmental justice.
This is a Virtual Opportunity with no fixed address.
October 14, 2021
- Resource Development / Management
- Program Management
- Relationship Building
- Public Advocacy
- Driver's License Needed
- Background Check
- Must be at least 18
- Orientation or Training
- 5 to 10 hours per week with the ability to remotely attend our board meetings which are held the last Wednesday evening of each month.
- Program management and prior related experience volunteering.