Reducing Factory Farm Animal Cruelty: volunteering virtually for UNC students
The Humane Society of the United States
Apply using this link: https://volunteers.humanesociety.org/index.php?section=volunteerOpportunities&action=view&fwID=2101
Please note you will be asked to upload a writing sample with your application.
Help farm animals remotely!
The Food and Nutrition division focuses on outreach, through our Forward Food program, to large institutions, such as colleges, hospitals, and school districts, to help them institute more plant-based menu items by hosting free educational events and trainings. Our goal is to make half of all meals served in food service dining programs in the U.S. plant-based by 2025. Students, faculty and staff on college campuses are in a unique position to assist in our work. By conducting research and outreach on your campuses, you are both increasing our impact and helping to show the demand for plant-based meals.
We are looking for volunteers (click to view expanded position description) to join our team and assist with a variety of tasks. Among other duties, volunteers conduct campus-specific research and compile a case study regarding the plant-based options on your campus, conduct plant-based audits of campus menu items, and meet with dining services representatives to discuss plant-based options.
Benefits of volunteering
Volunteers will learn about the Farm Animal Welfare Campaign and develop experience in the field of animal protection while addressing real-world issues. This is a great opportunity to work with a prominent animal organization on a vital campaign to help farm animals. Please see attached position description for additional learning opportunities.
Becoming a volunteer
Requirements for our volunteers:
- Must be currently enrolled as a student in the college/university locations we are seeking or employed by said institutions
- Strong interpersonal, reading, writing, and research skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, the Internet and online research tools
- Volunteers commit to 1-10 hours per week for a school semester.
- Please review the description above to help determine if our volunteer opportunity is the right fit. If you would like to proceed, please fill out the volunteer application (click Apply Now above) and upload a writing sample where prompted.
- After review of your application, a staff member will contact you to discuss the opportunity.
- Before becoming an official volunteer, you must sign a volunteer agreement and sign a waiver/release of liability.
About The Humane Society of the United States
700 PROFESSIONAL DR, GAITHERSBURG, MD 20879, US
We fight the big fights to end suffering for all animals. Together with millions of supporters, we take on puppy mills, factory farms, trophy hunts, animal testing and other cruel industries. With our affiliates, we rescue and care for thousands of animals every year through our animal rescue team’s work and other hands-on animal care services. We fight all forms of animal cruelty to achieve the vision behind our name: A humane society. And we can’t do it without you.
We work to:
- Provide direct care, rescue and services for animals in crisis.
- Pass local, state and federal laws to protect animals.
- Make sure existing laws are properly enforced.
- Help the biggest corporations reform their animal welfare policies.
- Shape public opinion on animal cruelty through our awareness campaigns and investigations.
- The world’s greatest roster of scientists and other experts in animal welfare.
- State directors across the country working at the local level.
- Five affiliated animal sanctuaries and medical centers.
- Programs that provide veterinary care and other animal services to inner cities, and a veterinary affiliate that provides these services to Native American reservations.
- Wildlife sanctuaries in more than 35 states.
- A global affiliate, Humane Society International, which runs programs in more than 20 countries.
We take a mainstream approach and combat the most severe forms of cruelty and abuse. Leaders in the humane movement ranked us the most effective animal organization in the country in a survey conducted by Guidestar’s Philanthropedia.