Dallas Pets Alive!
Making Dallas a No-Kill city is a big job and as a volunteer-based organization, we need a lot of great volunteers to do it. As an Accountant you provide the organization with a dedicated representative to work hand in hand with the administration side of a continued positive partnership of Dallas Pets Alive! and our shelter partners.
To be considered, please be sure to also complete our volunteer application at https://dallaspetsalive.org/volunteer/volunteer-application/
Department and/or Team: Administration
Reports to: Executive Director
Compensation: This role is a one-year contract position with a monthly stipend of $350 ($23.00 an hour) a month
Works with: Leadership team including VP of Animal Operations and VP of Administration
Description of Role: The Accountant has primary responsibility for accurate recording of financial transactions in the Dallas Pets Alive books and records, as well as providing financial reports to executive leadership on a monthly basis and as needed.
- Reconcile bank statements for each account monthly. Identify and correct discrepancies. Substantiates financial transactions by auditing documents.
- Consult with leadership team members as needed to ensure accurate categorization of income and expenses.
- Reconcile bank statements for each account monthly.
- Reconcile annual sales tax payment
- Record noncash transactions such as in-kind donations in the accounting software on an as-needed basis.
- Provide monthly summary income statements, balance sheets, and budget to actual reports to the Executive Director.
- Provide summaries of income and/or expenses for purposes of grants and other external needs, upon request of the Executive Director.
- Oversee the annual budget process
- Monthly entries into Quickbooks from bank statements and paypal statements.
- Provide monthly summary income statements, balance sheet, and budget to actual reports to the Executive Director.
- Provide other ad hoc requests as received within 24 hours of request.
- Provide details or explanation of transactions upon request from board of directors.
- Provide summaries of income and/or expenses for purposes of grants, taxes and other external needs upon request of the Executive Director.
- Degree in Accounting (Bachelor’s preferred) and/or 2+ years of experience in an accounting or bookkeeping role.
- Knowledge of Quickbooks is preferred.
- Non-profit bookkeeping experience is preferred.
- Access to computer, internet access, familiar with Excel, quickbooks and sales tax filings.
- Strong work ethic in timeliness of assignments, accuracy, and identification of accounting discrepancies.
- Strong communication, computer skills, deadline-oriented, attention to detail, and verification skills.
Desired Experience: See above.
About Dallas Pets Alive!
11700 Preston Road Suite 660, Dallas, TX 75230, US
At Dallas Pets Alive, our mission is to promote and provide the resources, education and programs needed to eliminate the killing of companion animals.
We are implementing innovative and progressive programs in Dallas after studying the best practices of other cities (most notably Austin, Texas). We are currently focused on helping the healthy and treatable pets who are at risk of being killed in the Dallas Animal Services, by rescuing the pets that are at the greatest risk and helping owners who are having problems so great that they need to surrender their pet(s) to a shelter.
In our rescue program, we do not duplicate work of other agencies. We focus solely on the pets who have already been passed over by other groups and the Dallas Animal Services’ adoption programs that only take the healthy and treatable pets who are about to be killed and have no other options.