Bernadette's House, Inc.
Bernadette’s House, Inc. ("BH") is looking for a talented and enthusiastic Curriculum Chair that
is passionate about tutoring for nonprofits!
The Curriculum Chair implements the After School Tutoring Program and BH Learning Center
component of BH and reports to the Membership Committee Board Member.
The BH After School Tutoring Program is a virtual tutoring program for middle and high school
girls. The BH After School Program reviews homework assignments with students; identifies
academic needs of students and provide resources and assistance; reviews report cards with
students and identifies the need for improvement; celebrates achievements and progress; and,
encourages reading, math, and fun. In order to qualify, students must join BH.
The BH Learning Center will serve middle and high school girls in the DC-Baltimore
metropolitan area and the Prince George’s County School District where BH is located. In order
to qualify, students must join BH. Parents may sign their daughter(s) upon BH website, to drop-
off their child for half-day or full-day at BH Learning Center. Much like a study hall, BH tutors
will assist students to assess their assignments and help them stay on task.
What You'll Do:
*Create a safe, nurturing environment where children can play and learn.
* Partner with parents with a shared desire to provide the best care and educational support
for their children.
* Support your center’s success by partnering with center staff and leadership.
* Cultivate positive relationships with families, co-workers, and students.
* Work with the digital marketing and communications staff to widely communicate the
tutoring opportunities to all BH members and potential members.
* Recruit volunteer tutors.
* Hold monthly meetings with tutor volunteers to discuss issues and/or concerns.
* Recruit students.
* Maintain a list of tutors and student participants.
* Create pairings or groupings of tutors/students; check in on tutors and students on
progress, readjust as necessary.
* Organize the Learning Center tutoring schedule to ensure that a tutor is available to assist
at BH if a student is scheduled that day for drop-off. Also, organize the Virtual Tutoring
Schedule to ensure student participants are paired with a tutor.
* Create and deploy satisfaction evaluations at the end of each program year; share results
with Membership Committee Board Member, to be distributed to the Executive Board.
The term commences on March 1, 2021, through December 31, 2021, and maybe appointed for
About Bernadette's House, Inc.
306 Montgomery St, Laurel, MD 20707, US
To provide a safe and supportive environment for young girls to explore their purpose in life.
Bernadette’s House, Inc. is a 501(c) (3) faith-based charitable nonprofit organization that was founded in October 2012. Our volunteer staff is dedicated to providing a safe and supportive home-like environment for preteen and teenage girls who live in and around the Laurel, Maryland area. Careful consideration is made to match each girl in our program with a mentor who is dedicated to developing a nurturing relationship that encourages the mentee to venture on a journey of self-discovery and "dare to dream" of a life full of possibilities. Our program is designed to foster the development of critical thinking and problem solving skills that will enable the girls to make life choices that will have a positive impact on their future.