General Tutor/Homework Helper - 6th Grade
BGCM Community Center & Sportsplex
- ***PLEASE NOTE DATES: Monday, January 25 - June 2021***
**Tutors may be located in any US location - this is a remote position**
To apply, there are 3 STEPS: email resume, complete an application at BGCMe.org AND call (732) 707-7336 for immediate consideration.
BGCM is seeking virtual tutors to support a few middle school students on a 1-to1 basis with focus issues due to ADHD (no behavior issues, focus only). The tutor will be responsible for providing virtual tutoring instruction, school assignments and homework help for 6th grade reading/writing, computer literacy, and general education organization skills. This opportunity is directly addressing the impacts of COVID-19 that students are experiencing by receiving inadequate support from teachers during remote learning.
Tutoring/Teaching SPECIAL EDUCATION EXPERIENCE IS A PLUS, specifically dealing with ADHD
(no behavior issues, focus issues only)
Teaching/Tutoring, 2 years (Required)
- Assist with homework, upcoming assignments, and studying for tests.
- Assist with organization skills.
- Familiarity with virtual learning platforms.
- Engage with students in a friendly and professional manner requesting information about the course, activity, and/or specific content so they can quickly serve the student’s needs.
- Respond to student questions in a positive, supportive manner, giving as detailed explanations as possible.
- Guide students through content and/or process to find answers to subjects mentioned above.
- Monitor students work as assignments are completed, providing assistance as needed.
- Be vigilant to signs the student is asking for help on, regarding assessment (quizzes and test) questions and setting the expectation with students that tutors will help clarify what the assessment questions are asking, provide parallel problems, or guide the student back to course content.
- Redirect students to appropriate to their teacher (when applicable) for questions relating to their specific course.
- Goal of this opportunity to increase reading level and grades, increase confidence, assist student with organization, and ensure the student is not missing any assignments in any classes.
- Provide brief written summary/progress report to parents and students after each session has concluded
- Other duties as assigned.
- Dates: 1/25/21 - June 2021
- Schedule: Flexible (based on student and tutor's availability)
- Subjects Covered: Mentioned above
Job Qualifications and Requirements:
- Adheres to the professional teaching obligations.
- Fosters a positive and motivating environment for students.
- Provide student feedback in a manner that supports learning.
- Actively listens and delivers information in a clear, compelling and concise manner.
- Attention to detail when typing with minimal spelling, punctuation, and grammatical errors.
- Ability to multitask between multiple windows, students, and courses.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree or enrollment in a Bachelor's Degree program is required
- Minimum of two years special education experience tutoring/teaching special education ELA
- Teaching license is a plus
- Strong technical expertise. Must be familiar with using a computer and have experience with Zoom and Google Meets
About BGCM Community Center & Sportsplex
129 N County Line Road #235, Jackson, NJ 08527, US
To nurture young people and families by reinforcing Christian principles that emphasize that they have been emphatically chosen by God to do magnificent things; provide services, programs, and activities that build positive self-worth and foster respect, integrity, and stewardship; offer youth from Maine to North Carolina, an innovative opportunity to train, excel, and compete academically, artistically, and athletically.
BGCM! (Because God Chose Me!) Community Center & Sportsplex, is a 501c3 nonprofit academic, arts & athletic center for youth & families founded on Christian principles, and is dedicated to instilling in each member that they have been specifically chosen by God to do magnificent things! Located in the heart of Jackson, NJ, we specialize in improving the self esteem of youth and families in surrounding suburban as well as underrepresented and underprivileged communities, while promoting integrity and stewardship, and offering, to youth in our surrounding states from Maine to North Carolina, an innovative opportunity to train, excel, and compete academically, artistically, and athletically.