Advisory Council Member
The Advisory Council serves as a critical community champion of The Sewing Labs. Members of the Advisory Council share their gifts in service to our mission yet have no governing function within the organization. As an Advisory Council member, you will work with The Sewing Labs Executive Director and the Board of Directors to support fundraising efforts for the organization.
Advisory Council members understand the mission:
The Sewing Labs is an inclusive and welcoming community that teaches the legacy of sewing for employment, entrepreneurship, and enrichment.
We focus on individuals who find themselves in at-risk situations, yet welcome everyone.
Advisory Council members act as ambassadors for The Sewing Labs to promote and raise awareness of the organization. Advisory Council members shall limit activities to advising on matters that directly concern the organization’s programs, fundraising efforts, and community awareness. Advisory Council Members are encouraged to apply for Board Positions with The Sewing Labs when board positions become available.
The Advisory Council member shall:
- Possess diverse skills, backgrounds, and experiences to support The Sewing Labs.
- Provide board and management with objective opinions about the organization.
- Provide input, skills, and knowledge towards specific projects supporting The Sewing Labs.
- Attend regularly scheduled Advisory Council meetings, either in person or virtually.
- Follow up on tasks assigned by council chairman or Executive Director
Specific scope of work of the Advisory Council member include the following:
- Identify program resources, technical assistance, and marketing resources.
- Identify possible funding sources and potential partnerships.
- Make connections to local resources, colleagues, or peers for the Executive Director
- philanthropic support or other forms of needed assistance
- Assess the impact of programs, projects, and events.
- There are no term limits, but at least one year is expected.
- Serve as ad hoc member on short-term committees for events such as, fundraisers.
- Serve as an advocate and ambassador to promote The Sewing Labs.
- Attend and participate in Advisory Council meetings.
- Potential for 2-3 hours per month dependent upon needs.
- Attend a minimum of 3 meetings a year.
- Stay informed of the plans, activities and needs of The Sewing Labs.
- Allow The Sewing Labs to publicize council members’ names and participation in print and web.
- Support The Sewing Labs mission in a significant way throughout the year, this may include:
- Providing expert advice.
- Making introductions/opening doors to constituents and potential donors.
- Co-chairing, promoting, and attending events or hosting special gatherings or fundraisers.
- Securing budget-relieving philanthropic gifts of any kind.
About The Sewing Labs
526 Campbell Street, Kansas City, MO 64106, US
The Sewing Labs is an inclusive and welcoming community teaching the legacy of sewing for employment, entrepreneurship, and enrichment.
The Sewing Labs is a community learning center that teaches the lost art of sewing towards job creation. We are partnered with employers all over Kansas City that are seeking trained sewists. We also are launching a Sewing Salon to encourage entrepreneurs who use sewing as a means to thrive.
526 Campbell StreetKansas CityKansas City, MO 64106
October 14, 2021
- People 55+
- Orientation or Training
- 2-3 hours per month dependent upon needs.