Director Of Development
SOLAR VILLAGE PROJECT INC
About the Position
We are a start-up nonprofit poised for explosive growth over the next few years as we launch our social enterprise in India this year.
We are seeking an inaugural volunteer Development Director to design and lead our development and fundraising activities including an annual fund, major gifts program, planned giving, and special events campaigns. The Development Director will work closely with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors in all development and fundraising endeavors.
The right candidate will be excited to have an important role in creating and building out the development function within SVP. While this is a volunteer position, we envision the successful candidate will help transition it into a paid staff position once funding becomes available.
Candidates should have a combination of traits including
- A passion for the mission of SVP;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Knowledge and experience in development and fundraising techniques;
- Skills to work with and motivate staff, board members, and other volunteers;
- Track record of building productive external relationships with industry players;
- A Self-starter mentality and goal-driven mindset to initiate donor visits and fundraising calls;
- A proclivity for organization and thorough execution on tasks and goals; and
- Experience in professional fundraising.
The role of Development Director will entail
- Meeting with prospective donors and supporters on a continual basis to establish long-term relationships;
- Launch and grow a major gifts program including identification, cultivation and solicitation of major donors;
- Oversee grant seeking including research, proposal writing, and reporting requirements;
- Build the planned giving program with a focus on deferred gifts such as bequest expectancies;
- Direct the annual fund program, including mailings and annual fundraising drives;
- Direct major fundraising drives;
- Coordinate fundraising special events;
- Conduct prospect research;
- Make public appearances and speaking engagements to share information about SVP
- Oversee fundraising database and tracking systems;
- Recruit, supervise, and collaborate with other fundraising staff; and
- Oversee creation of publications to support fund raising activities;
This is a VOLUNTEER position with the potential to convert into a paid position as we grow our organization. Our Development Director role is a unique opportunity to join the management team of a nonprofit from the ground floor with significant growth potential.
No additional volunteer opportunities at this time.
About SOLAR VILLAGE PROJECT INC
4406 OLANDO LN, BOWIE, MD 20715, US
Founded in 2014, SVP is a 501(c)(3) non profit organization dedicated to ending energy poverty and reversing the negative impacts of climate change in the developing world. Our mission is to provide clean, renewable and reliable energy for all people, beginning with those who can least afford it. We provide: Solar lights and lanterns that are affordable -- even for the most impoverished families and individuals in rural villages; Solar power systems that provide long-term reliable energy onsite, thereby limiting negative impacts from natural disasters and an unstable grid.
Solar Village Project, Inc. ("SVP") is an IRS-designated 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to eliminate energy poverty for some of the most impoverished communities in the developing world.
Today, over one billion people around the world live without any, or reliable, access to the electric grid. Entire homes - families including men, women, and children - are forced to use kerosene, other oil-based products, or candles for their lighting requirements at night. These lighting sources pose direct health and safety risks from long-term exposure to toxic fumes and the potential to start home fires. Collectively, they also impose a significant cost to the environment, contributing to global warming, through the release of both carbon dioxide and black carbon similar to the burning of any other fossil fuels.
Our goal is to replace these undesirable lighting sources with a simple, economically and environmentally-friendly solution in the form of portable solar home lighting systems. In addition to the health, safety, and environment benefits, improving access to lighting in these communities helps to alleviate poverty by providing additional resources for businesses to operate at night and children to read and further their education.