Writers and Journalists
Are you a passionate, accomplished writer or journalist who wants to make a difference in the world? Bring your enthusiasm and talent to ROCKBlue (rockblue.org), an international non-profit with a global team of change makers working to bring sustainable clean water and sanitation to urban areas in developing countries - now in sub-Saharan Africa and later in Asia and Latin America. As a writer and/or journalist, you will inform, educate and inspire our target audiences as we tackle the global water crisis by expanding our impact this year from reaching over 5 million people in 5 countries to more than 30 million in 7 countries.
How you’ll help
Researching then reporting, blogging and writing articles, blog posts, social media posts, news shorts, trend pieces and narrative features on news, trends and developments in global water crisis, environmental, sustainability and international development issues.
- Engaging in fact-based and human interest storytelling on how water and sanitation is improving people's lives around the world - promoting health, poverty alleviation, environmental protection, economic progress, sustainable development, education and gender equality.
- Writing on breaking news, current events, and pop culture as they impact water and sanitation issues and vice versa.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with reporting sources that include experts in the fields of water, sanitation and international development (internally and externally).
1-3 years of professional writing experience in a news, media or nonprofit organization.
- Knowledge of or interest in learning more about water and sanitation, humanitarian assistance and/or international development issues.
- Strong editorial judgment and the ability to recognize news and trends to conceptualize relevant posts and stories.
- Ability to incorporate editorial feedback to fine-tune and polish work
- Solid internet research skills.
- A strong portfolio of writing samples.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Experience working remotely as part of a small team.
- Experience working in a start-up non-profit, company or entrepreneurial environment.
- Self-directed and disciplined with the ability to work independently in an ever-changing environment.
- Can work a minimum of 4 hours a week for at least 6 months.
To apply, please email your cover letter, resume and links to writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org
601 Foothill Road, Ojai, CA 93023, US
The core purpose of ROCKBlue is to improve the lives of the urban poor in the developing world by supplying water and sanitation for all. ROCKBlue partners with the water and sanitation utilities that supply the basic amenities of water and sanitation to the urban poor. We empower our partner utilities by being a connector and service provider. The result of these partnerships are healthier cities that support the well-being of the local communities and economy thus improving lives.
ROCKBlue aims to solve the growing gap between reliable water supply and accelerating urban demand. We are a nonprofit that leverages a large network of highly experienced specialists. ROCKBlue focuses on strengthening the ability of water and sanitation utilities to provide these services to the poorest in cities and towns across the developing world.
ROCKBlue accomplishes this mission through respectful and mutually beneficial partnerships with both public utilities in the developing world and with the international donors and lenders supporting these utilities.