Virtual Help Desk Volunteer
A group opportunity. Invite your friends.
9 people are interested
**This position is great for someone who needs a lot of volunteer hours and believe in the magic of reading! **
Did you know that 67% of 4th graders read below the proficiency level? We, at Traveling Stories, believe showing kids that reading is fun will help change that statistic for the better. Join Traveling Stories as we provide one-on-one support and literacy services to families overcoming the disadvantages of poverty.
As a Help Desk Volunteer, you will help children (grades K - 2nd) and reading mentors (volunteers) get on to their Google Meet Virtual StoryTent sessions. You will be responsible for keeping track of session attendance, answering minor tech questions, and sending template text messages and emails. A supervisor will always be available for any additional support you may need. This position is essential for the Virtual StoryTent program to run smoothly each week!
Virtual Help Desk Requirements:
- Be 18 years of age or older
- Have access to a private, reliable internet connection
- Must complete all assigned trainings
- Must pass background check - Sterling Volunteers ($17.50)
- Fluently speak and read English
- Be dependable and punctual
- Respect and maintain confidentiality of Traveling Stories participants, programing and staff
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Sign-up online for Virtual Help Desk shifts at least 1 week before each scheduled shift
- First 15 minutes of Reading Session:
- Let readers and/or volunteers into the Google Meet video session
- Send template text to readers who are late
- Send template email to readers who were absent
- If a volunteer does not show up - let reader & supervisor know a sub is needed
- Fill out an attendance sheet
- Monitor the sessions assigned to you (will require minimal virtual interaction with volunteers and readers):
- For the remaining 30 minutes (each session is 45 minutes total):
- Passively monitor your email for instructions from the Traveling Stories supervisor. Ideally nothing will go wrong, and no action will be needed from you.
Every reading session will need up to 4 Virtual Help Desk Volunteers. During our 6 week programs, reading sessions are scheduled every:
- Wednesday 3pm, 4pm, & 5pm PST
Saturday 9am, 10am, & 11am PST
- Virtual Help Desk Volunteers are required to sign up for at least 3 shifts every other week (3 volunteer hours) but are strongly encouraged to sign up for more!
Required: virtual training videos
Here is a short video that will give you an overview of our Virtual StoryTent program: https://youtu.be/tsFtl-orpl4
- Overview of the Virtual StoryTent program
- How to use our text/email platforms
- How to sign up for shifts
- Script with responses to common issues
- Supervisor will always be available during your shifts for any extra guidance
About Traveling Stories
1240 E Plaza Blvd Suit 604 #430, National City, CA 91950, US
Traveling Stories empowers kids to outsmart poverty by helping them fall in love with reading by the 4th grade.
Traveling Stories is a 501c3 nonprofit organization that provides free reading support so that low-income families have the tools they need to break the cycle of poverty. We were established in 2010 by Emily Moberly, and exist to transform reluctant readers into confident ones. We specialize in making reading fun and believe that strong literacy skills are the most empowering gift we can give someone. Our StoryTent programs improve reading levels while also teaching families basic financial literacy skills. We inspire a love for reading while also strengthening children’s critical thinking skills and self-confidence.