Helpful Engineering Project Managers for New Projects is seeking Project Manager volunteers to fight COVID!
This is a volunteer position (we do not offer compensation). Helpful Engineering volunteers work with amazing worldwide team members in a dynamic fast-moving environment. It is also a great opportunity to build your skills and resume. Come join us!
About Helpful Engineering
Helpful Engineering is an international, open-source community incubator focused on mobilizing people to help solve the Covid-19 pandemic and other critical issues. With thousands of volunteers worldwide, we support projects through innovations in engineering, community resources, software, and manufacturing. Most of the projects are focused on finding solutions to fix the lack of products used by healthcare professionals, including hardware and software, but also non-technical products like surgical masks.
We have engineers and doctors all around the world who are producing ventilators, protective equipment, websites, and systems to organize volunteers to assist their communities and medical workers. They are making heroic efforts to produce products in time to help the outbreak.
Check Out Helpful Engineering Here: https://www.helpfulengineering.org/
For our complete list of open positions, check out our Volunteer Opportunities: https://airtable.com/shrwgNtBUAzuciV0j/tbl5Bqnjl3JRKD7qP
Volunteer Position Description & Responsibilities
Helpful is developing departments and pools of talent to assist with the completion, certification, and communication of projects. Without guidance, the swarm is unable to use these effectively. There have also been problems with the organization and document creation required to move forward with medical projects. The best idea in the world isn't worth much if we can't get it approved and trusted by Doctors and Nurses. While the slack is fantastic for general swarm communication it can be difficult to keep people on target (Chief cat wrangler is a potential unofficial title for this role).
- Receive training + onboarding to make sure that you know the people + processes to engage each department
- Manage an onboarding channel for the project you’ve been assigned, provide resources to the developing project and identify potential technical team leads as they emerge
*Once the project coalesces*
- Assist the team technical lead with engaging with the rest of Helpful's structure + remove blockers by communicating with other departments
- Assist the team lead with assigning and collecting team deliverables
- Owning the documentation required for the project (this will probably include getting an engineer to write a document when they'd rather be building or designing something)
- Develop documentation, templates, and onboarding resources for future project managers. This is very much a trailblazing role for Helpful. In parallel, we want to get on with saving lives and also make it easier for future teams to follow the guidelines that are established.
- Communicate with other team Project Managers to identify systemic problems within helpful and identify potential solutions
* Responsible commitment > We're asking for 15-20hrs p/w initially and that if possible when you need to leave that you pass on your knowledge to a successor.
Our organization is organic, transparent, and follows the principles of open source and effective altruism. Helpful Engineering expects all volunteers to adopt a professional attitude and be respectful of their fellow volunteers, which includes politeness, punctuality, giving notice, and communicating openly and transparently their work and progresses.
About Helpful Engineering
Helpful Engineering, London, London 533425, GB
Helpful Engineering is an international, open source community incubator focused on mobilizing people to help solve the Covid-19 pandemic and other critical issues. With thousands of volunteers worldwide, we support projects through innovations in engineering, community resources, software, and manufacturing.
Helpful Engineering is a 3,400 strong volunteer-run nonprofit incubator organization, with engineers, scientists, and doctors around the world dedicated to helping the world address the COVID-19 pandemic. Relying on the resourcefulness and grit of our members, we work to design innovative ways to fight the virus that causes this disease. We have partnered with medical professionals to know what would help them the most in this crisis, rapidly trying to design and arrange the production of pragmatic devices to move life-saving air, extend existing tools, or organize volunteers on the ground to bolster medical workers. The need is critical. Important but complex rules usually make these products unavailable, if unburdened, we can make them available now.